New Beatles Song

• Author
    Replies

Steve Kirk

Was a bit apprehensive about this but it’s good. Really happy 🙂

Jung Roe

Wow, what an absolutely heartwarming story. It is so beautiful what Paul, George and Ringo embarked on in 1994 with John’s cassette, and then later in 2022 Paul and Ringo taking George’s part and finishing it. Harnessing technology they collaborated across time to create a real Beatles song they all played on. What a moving, beautiful and special song.

Chris Weber

People keep saying it’s the last Beatles song. Perhaps it is.

Or not. Surely there are some more unfinished songs somewhere, and technology hasn’t stopped in the meantime.

It sure does sound like John though, doesn’t it? In the vocal, and the song itself.

And maybe the story about it as well.

It’s sad. A sad story.

https://genius.com/John-lennon-now-and-then-lyrics

Steve Kirk

You are right Chris. It won’t be the last. Just so happy to have them back in whatever way shape or form. It’s the Beatles 😍

Jung Roe

it’s so amazing and wonderful to be able to experience a new Beatles song.

Just listened to it for the first time, and It is AWESOME, so beautiful. The melody is wonderful and moving, and vocals enchanting. The Beatles magic is unwavering even after so many decades. LOVE IT.

Michael Rife

And now to tug at the heartstrings a little the new video of the song. They’re not wasting any time. (79) The Beatles – Now And Then (Official Music Video) – YouTube

Tim Arnold

Very cool video, well done. Kind of sad though, where does the time go.

Steve Kirk

This is wonderful. It can’t get much better. Thank you

Steve Kirk

Joyous. A gift. What an impact these people have had on my life

Jung Roe

That is such a wonderful video, kept getting goosebumps. Great use of AI and holograms of John and George weaving in and out of the video with Ringo and Paul. The part where Ringo and Paul sing missing you and then they flash to John and George singing back was perfection. It is amazing how such a simple melody John was playing around with on the piano captured on a cassette, can be rearranged to something so beautiful. It reminds me of Mona and Lisa talking about a simple melody Papa Rudi had and they transformed it into Any Other Day.

Chris Weber

Yeah, when I mentioned “It’s sad” above, I had just watched this video. Paul and Ringo don’t seem to be enjoying themselves too much, they just miss John and George.

I know I do.

James Crowe

I’ve watched and listened several times already. It’s great, especially when coupled with the video. So glad they were able to give us one last song.

Gary Delaura

I would never have dreamed that in 2023, a 71 year old me would be listening to a new Beatles song. You can’t make this stuff up! I love it!

Michael Rife

Hi all;

I hesitate to say this but the music critic in me is starting to come out. If all four had been around to record the song today, I believe they would have flipped it from a minor key to a major key. Also, I believe John would have double-tracked his vocals which he was prone to do in the old days. The ending would have been a George slide-guitar outtro but ending on the same note as the orchestra did. But, who am I to say that the Beatles could have done it better or different. It’s just my take on it. Other than that……..it is the Beatles and that is fine with me.

Steve Kirk

That’s fine Michael. Maybe you are right. It’s just wonderful to hear what may be the final piece in the soundtrack to mine and many other peoples lives

Michael Rife

I was just thinking that most of the Beatles’ songs were in major keys and was generally “happy music”. I cannot think of a song they did in a minor key except maybe ‘Baby’s in Black’. Also, I was speculating if all four were around and could bounce ideas off of each other.

Steve Kirk

I’m not a musician Michael. You are most probably right. I don’t think this song is in any way sad. It brings tears because these people mean so very much to us, and to have this and to almost feel how we used to feel again, is what this is about. It’s beautiful, and a fitting end to the soundtrack of our lives

Michael Rife

I understand maybe the minor key and the visuals is making me sad a bit because the video makes us wistfully look back at how it used to be. There is a back story to the song. Rumor has it that the last thing John said to Paul in person as Paul was leaving the Dakotas (or maybe it was on the phone) was to ask Paul to “Think of him (John) ever now and then, old friend.” I believe it was in 1978 according to what I read. A few years later Carl Perkins was recording with Paul in Scotland and wrote a song while there that contained the line to think of him now and then, old friend. It made Paul cry some and IMHO Paul was not going to change the basic of this song (Now and Then) because of the meaning to him of it and who said what in the past.

Jung Roe

Rick Beato gives some interesting insight into the song and talks about Beatles genius and ingenuity that went into the song.

https://youtu.be/7PAkVIFUZPQ?si=lViSm8fMrehZIYvx

Chris Weber

Thanks Jung, I was just about to post about Rick Beato’s reaction as well.

He mentions that John is one of the few writers that would have changes with 3 minor chords in a row. I think it sounds very much like a John Lennon song. But the guy who’s not on this at all is George Martin.

I’m glad people like and enjoy this, and it’s interesting…

Jung Roe

Hi Chris

I didn’t know the 3 minor chord changes in a row is a unique signature John Lennon thing. Makes it that much more special. It’s incredible that some half a century later something John did one day in a creative mood on the piano would have an impact on the world with this song. What an amazing enduring legacy.

I guess with George’s son Giles Martin being involved in the orchestral part with the strings provides an indirect link back to George Martin. Paul was really thoughtful to include Giles Martin in the recording honoring George Martin in the process. Like many Beatles songs, the strings really enhance the song, perhaps George Martin’s classical influence on the Beatles.