Turn Us On, Twins Fan (Hidden Gems)…

MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum General Discussion Turn Us On, Twins Fan (Hidden Gems)…

• Creator
    Discussion

Joe Suggs

New here, and I already see a lot of great music discussion, so I thought I’d tap the collective consciousness with this: everybody here probably knows a great under-the-radar song that the rest of us probably don’t, but should. Whether it’s the latest K-pop sensation or an ancient Gregorian chant, sneak up on us with something amazing that we may have missed. Here’s one of mine to start things:

Nicky Hopkins is the only guy I can think of who recorded with the Four Horsemen of British Rock- the Beatles, the Stones, the Who, and the Kinks. (He also recorded with each Beatle solo). From his 1973 album, here’s a really great one, with some Fab lead guitar from a Liverpool Lad that you can’t miss: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcdvPpUNmSU Your turn!

• This discussion was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  Joe Suggs.
  • Author
    Replies

Jung Roe

Hi Joe

That is nice song by Nicky Hopkins. Have not heard of him, but a gem indeed. I like the piano.

Great idea for a post. I can think of many lesser known gems. This one was a big hit in the 70s, but probably unknown outside of Canada, and maybe even British Columbia, by a local band named Chilliwack. This is reminiscent of a Beach Boys song of a similar title. This one I think is a big unknown gem worth a listen

https://youtu.be/p0OTRFob0BM?si=ycnDzMBLictC0UMQ

Roger Penn

Nice!

Jacki Hopper

Ah good ol Chilliwack…love their hit ” Whatcha Gonna Do ” …I think I have the 45 of that …. Alot of Canaduan Bands that were kinda one hit wonders back in the 80s , and same can be said fir USA/Abroad …. Because as as a kid in the 70s, I never really paid attention to who sang what, etc ….it was a matter of ne either liking/loving/hating a song I heard on radio/album/8 track/cassette tape …..lol

Jung Roe

Hi Jacki

It sounds like from yours and Joe’s response Chilliwack was little more known then I gave them credit for. The band is named after a city just outside of Vancouver, known for it’s delicious corn and the band! HAHAHA.

Bud Jackson

Hi Jung, et al,

I’ve heard of Nicky H. but wasn’t aware of all he’s done. He sounds very accomplished! I also enjoyed the different “California Girl” by the Chilliwack Band. I’ve never heard of them until now, but they did great on those high vocal parts! I love all those Native American names in the West, & around the country, such as Chilliwack! And hey, California ain’t the ONLY place on the West Coast! Wash, Ore, & even B.C. & Alaska are all West Coast too! (Then you have a very different kind of West Coast in the UK, Sweden, Spain, France, etc.)

I’m sure I’ve been thru Chilliwack, & I remember going thru the town of Hope, in a traveling band I was in during the mid-80’s. The Canadian Rockies are gorgeous, & the British Columbia Province is so big, you could probably fit all of California, Oregon & Washington into it, & still have room left over!

I had my first hiking adventure earlier, in Manning Provincial Park. But it seems that most people who go to B.C. stick to Vancouver on the mainland, & Victoria on Vancouver Island, named after British Captain George Vancouver, who did lot of exploring in the 18th Century.

My middle school orchestra LOVED playing up in Vancouver & Victoria! And riding on the super ferry was lots of fun! Thanks everyone for your interesting Musical submissions. It brought back lots of memories! — Bud

Jung Roe

Hi Bud

When I first met MJ, my wife, we drove from Vancouver to Whistler Mountain which is about a 2 hour casual windy drive. I remember she was looking at the road map of British Columbia I had in the car trying to find Whistler, she was looking at way up north near Yukon and Alaska thinking we had traveled that much unaware how big BC is. I showed her on the map we barely left the Vancouver area. In Korea driving 2 hours in any direction you would have travelled a significant distance. Yeah BC is pretty massive indeed, having lived here pretty much most of my life, I shamefully have only been to a fraction of BC, not having been to the wide swaths up north. It looks like you’ve been to many of the popular places in BC. That movie “First Blood” with Sylvester Stallone was filmed in Hope.

I always loved visiting Seattle, and as I mentioned before use to go down there often spending the weekend over there. I especially like going over the floating bridge (Hwy 520) to Bellevue, or across the Port of Seattle to the Alki Beach area, or the Ballard Locks area, University District etc…. Seattle is pretty well known for it’s unique music scene with Jimi Hendriks being from there, and the whole Grunge genre originating there, with the likes of Sound Garden and Nirvana originating from around there.

Roger Penn

I’ve driven from Portland to Anchorage (and back) twice. It’s a very long trip. But the scenery is unmatched anywhere.

Jung Roe

Hi Roger

That must have been an amazing road trip, would love to do it one of these days. A few years ago we were planning to go up to Prince George and Prince Rupert half way up the BC coast, but we had a bad fire season that summer, and all routes up north were closed due to the wild fires, so had to call off the trip. But doing that drive up to Alaska is still one of my road trip goals.

Tim Arnold

Hi Jung, I follow a BC family on their YouTube channel called Gridlessness. For the last 10 years they’ve been building an off grid homestead and raising 5 daughters near Prince George. I love watching their videos of living in the mountains, it looks like a very beautiful area. Some of the music they use for their videos is done by a local northern BC band called Last Horse Standing that play alternative country music and have produced a couple albums. I will submit this music video as a gem for this thread. Here is B.C. by Last Horse Standing.

https://youtu.be/KuLLc0E6Tps?feature=shared

Jung Roe

Thanks Tim. Listening to that song it really strikes a chord in me, and the lyrics make me a little emotional, and make me realize how fortunate I am to live in such a beautiful place, and gratitude to my parents for giving me all this. There are certainly a lot of gems right here in my backyard, a very big backyard, to explore and appreciate.

I will check out that channel you mentioned, will get to see some places around Prince George I missed getting to because of the fires.

I posted this one here before, from another Canadian band from the 70s that was really big in Canada. This was one of my faves from back then. A real gem.

To all the pretty ladies, especially the twins here we all adore and cherish. 💛❤

https://youtu.be/kGL9yleR7wA?si=x4dql3RbUx3orrqG

Tim Arnold

Jung, B.C. is so beautiful from what I’ve seen, the ocean, lakes and mountains are majestic. On the map it looks twice the size of Texas which is amazing. I’ve been in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado and it is breathtaking. My state of Wisconsin doesn’t have the mountains but we have a few natural wonders like the Mississippi river, Lake Michigan and Lake Superior, all amazing treasures of this place called Earth. The song you posted is a little emotional for me. I lost my pretty lady 9 years ago, I miss her everyday. A pretty woman may be the only thing better than a beautiful landscape. Good music is right up there too. It is a beautiful song I have never heard before, thanks for that one.

Jung Roe

Tim, sorry to hear of your loss. I’m glad the song made you think of your very special Pretty Lady. Music is very special in that way. It’s one of the gems from the 70’s I listen to every now and then, and moves me every time.

I love the organ work, reminiscent of Whiter Shade of Pale. Apparently Trooper used a Hammond-B3 in the recording. It sounds beautiful.

Roger Penn

Wow! Thanks for that! You mentioned 4 greats among the many he recorded with and I was thinking yeah, but did he work with Badfinger? Turns out, YES! LOL.

Joe Suggs

Yeah, that song was also recorded at Apple (with George sitting in). So give us your hidden gem!

(Jung) Wow, Chilliwack- haven’t thought of them in a while, but really nice, and as the title suggests, very very Beach Boys-like. I’ll hear this again and dip further into this band. Enjoying the jammy outro right now- it’s a shame bands don’t do those as much these days.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  Joe Suggs.

Welcome, Joe!

I’m sure we could all name a lot of hidden gems, but as long as we’re in a Beach Boys vein at the moment, consider this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwU4AX2TfEQ

Joe Suggs

This is SUPER nice. That’s gonna be the same Anthony Rivers who did a jaw-dropping cover of “Caroline No” a few years back. A discovery for sure. This thread could be big fun.

For fun, look up “That Bluebird of Summer” (Surf Symphony), a Brian pastiche instrumental with some Wrecking Crew members on it, c. 1969. BW/BB pastiches is a whole thing unto itself. just as the Beatles had “Lies” by the Knickerbockers as an early soundalike classic; the Beach Boys had “New York’s a Lonely Town” by the Trade Winds, and countless others.

Wow, you really know your stuff, Joe! Yes, Tony Rivers is a Brian Wilson disciple who has written and recorded a lot of Beach Boys-ish songs and done fresh arrangements of BB classics. Check out his fleshed-out version of Girl Don’t Tell Me.

I think I posted New York’s a Lonely Town here a couple of years ago: a rare example of east coast surf music!

Jung Roe

Great harmonies David, it harkens me back to the summer again. I recall Grass Harmony was mentioned in the past, great vocals.

Nicky played for quite a few bands but he was particularily brilliant with Quicksilver Messenger Service on the album, Shady Grove. This long meandering instrumental (Edward the Mad Shirt Grinder) was written by him between takes of another song. Piano isn’t phenominal but the composition is. This is a hidden gem I play at least a couple of times a year. He also plays some fine organ and harpsichord as this piece goes on. If you manage to make it to the end I applaud you!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJBPlmqQ2DY&list=OLAK5uy_lAkdmkEFGkwXna1LV9L_v-uIIlInlJ0Fg&index=9

Dave, I am listening to Quicksilver. I am reminded of that person who speaks quickly without breathing, and tends to go off onto various tangents without ever circling back to the original topic where as you are patiently waiting to interject as there is no appearance of any point where you might interject with your however humble opinion leading to an appearance of conversation. Whew! I made it to the end. It reminds me of Floyd’s “Obscured By Clouds” That reminds me, there is a ski trail on Gore Mountain called Quicksilver. It really doesn’t go anywhere special, but it’s a smooth ride.

https://youtu.be/L7BpEZ_baSY?si=xkaImNAYxV7Y-xU8

Here is a great version of the PF song I was referring to. This is drummer Nick Mason’s band that he put together the for some short tours playing early Pink Floyd. Being very familiar with this song, I can say this is a great rendition and very close to the original. Nick’s still got it.

https://youtu.be/tBZiuHBRkcc?si=QZROGA8T5UtQySSV

Jung Roe

Wow, really nice JP! The guitar work is captivating.

Joe Suggs

I love that metaphor, because I’m one of those people. My tombstone will say “He finally shut up”. I’m enjoying the Quicksilver track right now. I have their first album, I think, but not this one. Nicky’s really tearing it up on this. I’m going to listen carefully to every track linked on this thread; I love the diversity I’m seeing!

Roger Penn

OK, we’ll go off the rails with something totally different. Careen was sort of a local supergroup, and this song sounds like a cross between The Cars and Cheap Trick, but it’s such brilliantly crafted pop-rock that it should have been huge. Unfortunately, the band threw in the towel right after this and the record never got distribution.
    https://youtu.be/18sqKkiYzxE?si=zQMMl9Z2fwLcIBr2

Jung Roe

Nice guitar sounds Roger, I like it. I can feel a bit of the Cars influence in it.

Joe Suggs

Nice! I don’t know if the tradition of the great local band has outlived local radio (which used to be EVERYTHING), and the coming of the ‘net, but every market used to have that one band that no one in town could understand why they weren’t an international sensation. In Atlanta, Georgia in the seventies we had a killer funk/rock band called Mother’s Finest that were (and still are) just amazing, a raise-the-roof act that Aerosmith couldn’t follow- at least here in town. In the eighties we had a power pop outfit called the Producers- a bit like Careen- that bubbled under with a couple hits like “What She Does To Me” “She Sheila”, and “What’s He Got”, all solid and well-crafted. I’m fascinated by these bands from all eras- they’re a sort of alternate history.

Here’s another gem I listen to somewhat frequently. Joni Mitchell supplies the back up vocals which are really great. Great song to mellow down with. I really thought he would become more popular but there was a lot of competition in 1972!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKVqORK2byo&list=PLpZWeuwflRbsoXBBK3XjG18UiIVxcKQYw&index=1

Roger Penn

Very nice! Sounds like a cross between Harry Nilsson and Arlo Guthrie!

Jung Roe

That’s beautiful Dave, really relaxing. I like all the mix of instrumentals in it.

Joe Suggs

That’s a gem. Trying to figure out how I’m not more familiar with this guy.

Jung Roe

If there was ever an underrated gem, this would be it. Brian Wilson’s unfinished follow up masterpiece to Pet Sounds, a response to Sgt Peppers, a song from the unfinished album Smile, “Surfs up”. It is honored here by David Crosby, Vince Gill, and Jimmy Webb.

https://youtu.be/hmR8a36x_MA?si=ahzVn6BWeV4pYPLg

Roger Penn

Incredible! It lacks the angelic harmonies that are the hallmark of the original, but some unbelievable vocal acrobatics nonetheless.

Jung Roe

Thanks Roger. I posted this one yesterday in the Day 6 Advent Pet Sounds discussion with Joe, but will post it here again. Here is Brian Wilson at his piano in 1966 singing Surfs Up. You can see all his brilliance pouring out of him. https://youtu.be/sTifX3mpnV4?si=AVjtAfP1mbsDhjOQ

Joe Suggs

Back in 2011 I got to hear Jeff Beck perform “Surf’s Up” as an instrumental when he was touring with Brian.

Much to be said about that amazing composition, but this has always intrigued me: in late 1966 (I think) a session took place for “Surf’s Up pt. 2”- the section traditionally heard as Brian on solo piano (“Dove-nested towers…”). It was a string arrangement to accompany that part. Other elements and sweetening may have been intended. It’s been rumored to be in the hands of an LA bootlegger (that I used to know!) but has never been found and is probably lost to history.

Part 1 was fully-tracked in 1966, except for Brian’s lead vocal, which is sometimes flown in from various sources (though Carl recorded a vocal in 1971), and the closing section was overdubbed with backing vocals and sweetening in 1971, without Brian’s participation. Jack Reiley added the additional lyrics (“A children’s song…”). But that middle part usually remains untouched from the demo.

Jung Roe

Hi Joe

Wow, I would have loved to hear Surfs Up Part 2. I could only imagine what that must be like, perhaps one day that boot leg copy will get remastered properly and released. What a treasure trove that would be. You lucky guy, that performance with Brian and Jeff Beck must have been amazing.

Here is an excerpt of Brian Wilson’s explanation to the Surfs Up lyrics.

https://youtu.be/2ITDY7d4-UM?si=UE3II5giODZxRBSG

Those surfing songs were really about the joy in the universe Brian felt and God. They certainly brightened up my life growing up. I have “Brian Wilson Presents SMILE” 2004 CD album set with this song, will go listen to it later. I wish I had the vinyl box set with lights that Brian was so proudly displaying in that video. 😁

Jung Roe

Here is something totally different. In 1993 classical composer Michael Nyman’s piano piece for soundtrack to a movie “The Piano” was a big hit in the classical realm. I have the soundtrack to the movie “The Piano” and often like to listen to this piece. Was one of the piano pieces I really liked when I started piano lessons. It is really hauntingly beautiful.

https://youtu.be/nisjjuntbl4?si=BpljHph-byC_D-UB

From Wikipedia:
    In 1993, Nyman’s popularity increased after he wrote the score to Jane Campion’s award-winning 1993 film The Piano. The album became a classical music best-seller with over three million copies. His soundtrack won an Ivor Novello Award, Golden Globe, BAFTA and American Film Institute award. He was nominated for a British Academy Award and a Golden Globe.

Joe Suggs

Listening again now; really nice. I probably need to see the film again, but it’s so wrenching.

I’ve posted this one before on another forum, but it’s definitely a “hidden gem”.

This British group is almost unknown in the U.S., but they had a series of hits in Europe in the mid-60’s. By late 1969 the well had run dry, and the lead singer left to pursue a solo career. But the decapitated remains of the group went on to record this intriguing piece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHuyU1iKnTU

Joe Suggs

I can’t believe I waited so long to finally hear these guys. They were name-checked by George in the last official Beatles session (“I Me Mine”, minus John), and I’ve been curious for years. The sense of humor was unexpected!

Jung Roe

Beatlemania was actually coined after Lisztomania, because a hundred years before the Fab4, there was Franz Liszt a genius composer and virtuoso on the piano. With his amazing musical talent, good looks and charisma, Liszt had ladies fainting at his recitals.

Lisztomania or Liszt fever was the intense fan frenzy directed toward Hungarian composer Franz Liszt during his performances. This frenzy first occurred in Berlin in 1841 and the term was later coined by Heinrich Heine in a feuilleton he wrote on April 25, 1844, discussing the 1844 Parisian concert season. Lisztomania was characterized by intense levels of hysteria demonstrated by fans, akin to the treatment of celebrity musicians today – but in a time not known for such musical excitement. – Wikipedia

In addition to his own renowned compositions like “Hungarian Rhapsody No 2”, he transcribed many symphonies to piano that are famous. Here accomplished classical pianist Ayse Deniz interprets Pink Floyd on the piano with a Liszt flair. She has transcribed many classic rock songs to piano much like Liszt. When I hear this, it reinforces my belief that Bach and Beethoven are rock stars from a different time composing music using the instruments of the time doing the same thing as rock stars of today. As Paul McCartney said of Bach we did what he did, just put a beat to it.

Hey JP! What do you think of this interpretation of Pink Floyd on piano? 😉

https://youtu.be/ZQI8mCIAqmg?si=uCk5fzHXqMMpDZGT

Joe Suggs

Enjoyed that. Good music stands all kinds of re-interpretation, and crosses boundaries of style. That’s part of what I miss in a lot of modern stuff: let’s hear it on a piano, or a ukulele, or on jazz piano with vibes and a stand-up bass. Does it retain its melodic idea?

I love YouTuber Nahre Sol demonstrating the same concept so beautifully, and intelligently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAtZawkqBG8

Jung Roe

Hi Joe

Wow that is amazing how she can so clearly and accurately articulate the differing character and mood of each composer. The ones I am familiar with I think she is right on. Bach, Mozart, Chopin, and Liszt. It’s like each composer has their own unique musical signature or finger print she can bring out all within the same piece. It would be really fun to find a guitarist who could articulate the differences between Jimi Hendricks, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Carlos Santana, Eddie Van Halen, Billy Gibbons etc…

I came across this video a while back where the musician explains how in music there is often an interaction between two musical voices, like within counterpoint, where two melody lines interplay with each other. She likens that to a conversation between two people, like between a man and a woman in a relationship. It really made me understand deeper what Bach and Beethoven were doing in their piano Sonatas, and even Symphonies between a solo violin and the orchestra. She even draws parallel to what Pink Floyd is doing in Wish You Were Here, and I am sure would apply to modern pop rock songs of the Beatles.

I think it is an amazing interpretation of a story line going on in the music, that perhaps the composer is expressing through the melody. The melodic voice expresses feelings better than words.

https://youtu.be/IVYzPFcCiCQ?si=dACh4uJNaovLPflZ

I like this interpretation. There are a lot of purists who say,”Nnah…”. It doesn’t sound like the original. It shows that she is a PF fan. She really seems familiar with this piece. I have never heard of Litzo. Thanks for the introduction.

JP

Jung Roe

Hi JP

I am glad you like it. Coming from a big Pink Floyd fan, that is a great compliment.

Franz Liszt’s piano work is very unique. Hungarian Rhapsody No 2 is my favourite piece. Other ones from Liszt are Campanella, Liebestraum No 3.