Wonderful Bassline

• Creator
    Discussion

Jung Roe

In the MLT song “WHY?”, of the many remarkable traits of the song, I love the bass line that stands out from the beginning, that is accompanied by organ, and then the strings. It’s a beautiful masterwork arrangement like a rainbow of sounds. The chord progression you can hear in Make Show is another one that really stands out and pulls you in. There are wonderful and beautiful effects like this throughout the album. One could certainly write a dissertation for a PHD on all the master work music elements this masterpiece album encompasses.

In rock and roll the bass guitar provides a solid rhythmic foundation for the entire band establishing a groove that helps the drummer and other musicians stay in time. The consistent pulse of the bass guitar creates an engaging and even danceable rhythm in rock music. The bassline is also known to outline the harmony and chord progression of a song, hence the bass player contributes to the harmonic structure of the music. In addition to the rhythmic and harmonic functions, the bass also introduces melodic elements and counterpoint, and now we are getting into juicy stuff.

In both rock and roll and Bach’s fugue and counterpoint, the bass plays a crucial role in providing a harmonic foundation outlining a the underlying chords that helps to establish the harmonic structure of the music. The bass line in both styles serve as a rhythmic anchor helping to maintain a steady pulse and providing a sense of groove and stability in the song.

Another song I can think of where the bass line really stands out and adds to the music is Beach Boys “Good Vibrations”

What other songs come to mind that has a stand out bass line?

https://youtu.be/VWpkac-w2PE?si=COV3VgITTYFfie4g

Page 3 of 3
  • Author
    Replies

Jung Roe

Wow, I’m really enjoying everyone’s posts here, thank you all!

I watched an interesting 2 hour long documentary movie about JS Bach this evening. Fun fact about Bach. While Mozart and Beethoven started composing their famous works early from childhood and into their 20s, apparently Bach who’s musical repertoire is absolutely expansive did not write his most notable works until well into his 30s. In 1717 at age 32 Bach became Music Director at the Court of Prince Leopold in Kothen Germany.

During his time here he would have his most creative period writing his greatest instrumental masterpieces such as the Brandenburg Concertos, Keyboard Sonatas and Partitas, Well Tempered Clavier, all the Violin Concertos and Partitas etc.. Prince Leopold of Kothen loved music and admired Bach very much, and they became very good friends, with Bach even making Leopold Godfather to one of his children. In 1723, unfortunately Prince Leopold died due to poor health, and Bach left Kothen after a very creative 6 year period, and went on to become the Music Director in Leipzig at the St Thomas Church where he would remain for nearly 30 years until his death in 1750 at age 65. He would write his great Choral works like the Passion of St Matthews during his time here.

It seems every artist has their own unique creative path to follow. In the case of Bach, he did not flourish until well into his mid-life.

One of Bach’s greatest works, and the piece that is known for it’s notable bass line is his great organ piece, Toccata and Fugue in D Minor. Here is a fun reaction video by none other than Highly Combustible. Listen closely and you can feel the power of that bassline from the organ. This is a Hammond on steroids.

https://youtu.be/ubfi5mSMFDk?si=rN7-YP23VaBIiNAJ

Wow, that Bach piece is kool. DuPonte is amazing. Those pipe organs must sound kool in person. I have never seen one. Reminds me of Pink Floy’s Atom Heart Mother.

Jung Roe

Hi JP,

Yeah I absolutely love the counterpoint that comes in at 4:30. He resets those dampers and holy smokes! The interplay between the two voices just sends chills! It’s one of the most beautiful moments in all of music I think. It even sounds great on piano, harp, guitar etc.

https://youtu.be/zhH53UODLEM?si=CxdhbtgcC2pVTHn3&t=178

In the piano version that counterpoint starts at 3:00

Tim Arnold

Hi Jung, I love the power of those big pipe organs. I’ve heard back in the silent movie days they would use those organs in the big theatres to set the mood of the different scenes in the movie, sort of like a live soundtrack. I would have loved to heard that. I bet the right notes at the right time could make you jump out of your seat. So cool.

Jung Roe

Hi Tim

Yeah, that powerful organ bass really grabbed me in this video. He makes use of the full force of that mighty pipe organ.

Jung Roe

Another interesting fun fact about Bach. Apparently Bach had very beautiful hand writing and could do really fancy ornamentation, so scholars are able to tell a score that is handwritten by Bach because of the beautiful hand writing and ornamentation of the Soprano Clef in the score that only he could do.

Here is a hand written doodle from Bach’s Well Tempered Clavier Book:

10. Bach Well Tempered Clavier doodle
    It might just look like a squiggle on the top of the page, but it’s actually Bach’s incredibly geeky way of explaining how to tune the keyboard before playing. The doodles are read from right to left, with the letter C beneath the doodle indicating where the C lies, with each different kind of loop representing the intervals to be used.

Tim Arnold

Jung, here’s another great tune driven by a great bassline. It’s odd that the Dutch band Golden Earring had only two big hits in a career that spanned over 50 years, but they were two of the best (imo) rock n roll songs ever. Great song to listen to on a road cruise. https://youtu.be/te31-9r0K_w?feature=shared

Jung Roe

Hi Tim

Yeah the song has a great captivating beat right off the bat and throughout, and some great guitar work too. Definitely a remarkable bass line going there. I can feel how this can be a great song to be listening to as you cruise along. Thanks for this.

Chris Weber

San Sebastian is on my short list of cities to visit some day, but unfortunately I wasn’t there the day this was filmed. There are a lot of great women bassists these days. Here’s one you might like.

https://youtu.be/2aRC3YY3svs

Tim Arnold

I enjoyed that one Chris, That girl is very talented with a beautiful smooth voice. I never heard of her before but she is very good, the whole band is good.

Chris Weber

Yeah, she is special. Even the Grammy people like her – 5 Grammies.

Bud Jackson

Hey Chris,

After watching her videos, I finally saw Esperanza last year in Seattle, at “Jazz Alley.” She IS amazing! I didn’t get to talk to her, but as I was driving past the club, getting ready to park, I saw her walking down the street! Then I saw her set with just herself and Fred Hirsch on piano.

She’s in a class all her own, just as Mona & Lisa are! I don’t try to figure out who’s best, I just enjoy them all for who they are, & what they can do! Thanks for posting that!

There are so many great videos here, and so little time to watch them all!

— Bud

Chris Weber

This year she was nominated for a Grammy, playing with an all star band, for Best Instrumental Jazz Album, from a performance with Wayne Shorter and others at the 2017 Detroit International Jazz Festival. I was kind of annoyed since somehow I managed to miss that free performance, in my own backyard. So I still have never seen her live. Guess I need to raise my head, and pay attention better.

Jung Roe

Hi Chris

She is a great bass player and enjoyed the jazz piano and keyboard work. A really easy going feel to it and wonderful musicianship. Thanks for sharing it.

Great bass intro on this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2MTbbPotwo

Tom Fones

Let me add this one.

The bass covers the melody throughout the song.

Cheers to all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcPy4oGmhRE

Jung Roe

Hi Tom

My favourite Beach Boys song, and yeah that bassline drives the song. I didn’t think of this one, thanks! Interestingly that live album is my first foray into the Beach Boys music, as it was my brothers one and only Beach Boys vinyl in his collection, and I absolutely devoured it at 10. I came back from a grade 4 party after hearing this coolest song called Surfing USA, and it was on this album, and wow all their other stuff was so cool too.

Tom Fones

I’m glad you liked it Jung.

Great topic.

Cheers

Tim Arnold

Hi Jung, that’s one of my favorite Beach Boys songs too. I don’t know if I ever shared this cover of that song but I like it and hope you do too. I discovered Josh Turner a couple years ago by listening to Reina Del Cid’s covers, she often collaborates with Josh and some of his friends. I like Josh’s guitar playing and singing but I especially like the fact that he is always having fun and they cover a lot of the songs that I’ve always liked. I hope you enjoy it. The guy playing the bass does a good job too. https://youtu.be/Xy1nPA9tBjQ?feature=shared

Jung Roe

Hi Tim

As the guy says at the end “NIIIICE!!!”. Yeah they knocked it out of the ball park, love it. The vocals were great too. Thanks for sharing it, really enjoyed it.

If Mona and Lisa are thinking of covering another Beach Boys song, Sloop John B would be my vote! Their harmonies would do pure magic justice to this.

Tim Arnold

Even though this wasn’t the type of music I normally listened to when I was younger, I have always liked this song just for the groovy bassline. For the Aquarius part of the song the bass is outstanding but when they go into the Let The Sunshine In part I think it becomes maybe the coolest bass line ever recorded in pop music. I always thought it was the great Wrecking Crew bassist Carol Kaye that played it but the description in the video says it was Joe Osborn from Mound Louisiana. There is a great documentary on YouTube about that group of musicians that played on literally hundreds of the great records of the 60’s. I think even Carol says she played this bassline (I could be wrong, just going by a weak memory, I may have to watch that documentary again) but the fact was so many great players were used during studio recordings and they did so many takes of the songs that sometimes they couldn’t be sure which artist’s take actually was used on the finished record. A very interesting documentary. No matter who is acually playing the bass it is one of the coolest and maybe my favorite. https://youtu.be/vbCH5lnZ6sA?feature=shared

I love that song, and that group, Tim! Joe Osborn also played bass on the Mamas & Papas cover I posted above.

Tim Arnold

I’ve been learning a lot about Joe Osborn since this post. From documentaries and interviews I learned he played on at least 100 top 40 records and even more than 100 on the country charts once he moved to Nashville. He played on hits with Ricky Nelson, The Carpenters, Mamas and Papas, 5th Dimension and many more. Today I learned he played on one of my favorite albums from my childhood. One of my older brothers had the Johnny Rivers album “Live at the Whiskey Go Go. I thought it was the coolest album ever at the time and just loved the bass guitar through all the great tracks. Here’s one of the tracks I loved with a groovy bassline. https://youtu.be/gqjx7huJLwI?feature=shared

Chris Weber

Tim, I always really liked that song. Long ago I saw a blues/soul/gospel band from NYC called the Holmes Brothers, who introduced me to it. They are long gone since one of the brothers and the lead singer passed away long ago. But they used to come out to blues festivals here, and actually once they played at the Detroit Jazz Festival, too, although they never played jazz. And I saw them play in a club in NYC once too. Brings back good memories. Thanks for posting that. And you can still buy good looking high heeled sneakers.

Bud Jackson

The bass was great, but the vocals blow me away! I’ve always liked their music from the beginning.
      I also love “Up, Up and Away,” plus a lot more of their recordings.

They were yet another group that defined the sounds of the late ’60’s! Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis Jr. are both still married! He’s 85 & she’ll be 80 soon. I just read that they did a Beatles Tribute Album in 2021 with 10 songs! I’ll have to check that out! — Bud

Tim Arnold

Thanks Bud, yeah they were very good singers and appeared on TV a lot during the 70’s. It almost seems I can remember Billy and Marilyn having their own show at some point, maybe one of those summer replacement shows they aired when the regular shows were on break. Anyways, good to hear they are still around and together and still enjoy making music. I may have to look for their Beatles covers, take care.

The story of how The Fifth Dimension ended up recording Aquarius / Let the Sunshine In is one of the most bizarre in the history of music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrewjF0ds_c

Tim Arnold

Hi David, That’s a great interview, I’ve watched a few of his videos on his channel. I never heard that story before, pretty amazing how it happened. I love Marilyn and Billy’s attitude, so pleasant and upbeat. That really is one of the greatest songs of all time. If it was used on The Simpson’s it had to be great.

Yes, Tim, I do believe they’re the most happily married celebrity couple I’ve ever seen. It’s clear that they still adore each other after more than 50 years together.

That song is a really powerful representation of the most beautiful aspirations of 60’s idealism as I see it. And of course they had several other moving songs. One of my guilty pleasures is singing along in my best falsetto to Wedding Bell Blues.

Tim Arnold

David, I was thinking about this after I left the last comment. You hear so much about the tragic lives of so many celebrities do to drugs, infidelity or whatever and you never hear about the ones that had great careers and also led positive and honorable lives. People like Billy and Marilyn should be the ones honored by the media as role models.

Jung Roe

David, what an amazing story about how that song came together. Some real cosmic alignment going on there with the wallet for sure. I didn’t know it is two songs they put together, Age of Aquarius and Let the Sunshine In. The effect worked together magically.

Jung Roe

Tim,

Yeah great song, one of my faves from the 60s. When the song feels so good and you are liking it, at the “let the sunshine in…” part they take it yet to another level and the emotions soar! Great video too!

1977 Six episodes

I think I remember it. I was twelve.

https://youtu.be/ywyflAF68_4?si=mh2_RiGppdITu7xK

Wow, JP! I spent all of 1977 in front of a TV set, and I’ve never heard of this show. It must have aired opposite Donny and Marie or something.

Tim Arnold

JP, Thanks for posting that. I knew they had appeared on probably every variety show of that time and was quite sure they had their own show too. Good to know my brain did retain some memory of the 70’s.

Bud Jackson

Johhnnypee,

That was very amusing! And I love their voices too! I have a 5th Dimension Greatest Hits CD, & everything on it is wonderful, & so nice to listen to! Thanks for that clip!

I have a question for you; how did you get that interesting name of yours?

— Bud

Jacki Hopper

I love pipe organs ….. I’ve only ever seen a few times that I’ve been inside the Christ Cathedral in downtown Ottawa for special occasions , that I’ve seen pipe organs in person …..

I’m sure the Notre Dame Basilica close by downtown has some too, but I’ve never been in there…..yet…..

Though I’ve been inside the famous Basilica in downtown Montreal only once, that was stunning to see …..🤘🎼🎵🎶🎹🔊🎚🎛

Jacki Hopper

And to add, to this topic of Jung’s, though not necessarily direct pipe organs related, but kind of, here’s a great YT clip that really explains how the Peace Tower Bells work in the Centre Block of Parliament Hill ( I’ve been inside Parliament Hill, only a handful of times but never up to the Bell part, only to the Question Period Area, private banquet room, main floor, etc. …the Question Period room tour was part of a Grade 10 History class field trip, while the private banquet room was for a Xmas party that a friend of mine invited me to, when she was working on the Hill at the time for a long time before she had to retire from her work in the food sector( “food prep assistant ” ) due to medical/health issues…the whole inside of all of Parliament Hill is quite interesting…. and even more , the fact that the only original Parliament Building part that survived the Great Fire was its Library ….

Okay , that was your quick condensed History lesson of Ottawa’s Parliament Hill from my perspective….lol…

Here’s that link for the Bell Tower working & how it works :

https://youtu.be/5J1CobDbOXU?si=zXiCRXWxMkhGQjiP

Tim Arnold

That’s interesting Jacki, I hope the lady that plays that everyday has ear plugs, that would be loud. There’s something really cool about using heavy machinery and equipment to play music. Gives a new meaning to the term “heavy metal”.

Jung Roe

Hi Jacki

What a fascinating video, thanks. I can imagine when that bell goes off and you are in the tower next to it, your whole body would vibrate to those bells. Me and MJ almost made it to Ottawa back in 2019 just before covid, was in Montreal to do a cruise, and just ran out of time unfortunately. It’s one of the places In Canada I want to see and visit the parliament building. Will call you up when we make it out that way. Fun fact, my close cousin, Yonah Martin, whom I introduced to the Beach Boys when we were kids is a Senator and is often in Ottawa. The first Korean Canadian in Parliament.

Jung, you’ve reminded me of an idea I had a couple of years ago. Whenever one of us is within shouting distance of another club member, the two should get together for lunch or something, take a picture, and post it here in the club. Maybe MLT would even set up a dedicated photo gallery.

I imagine most of us haven’t ever spoken with another member in person. The opportunity for a real-time conversation would be exhilarating, and we certainly wouldn’t struggle to find a topic to discuss. And seeing the photos would deepen everyone’s sense of club membership.

Tom Fones

I 2nd that motion.

I haven’t been to the Piedmont Triangle or the east coast since before Covid.

Someday soon David H.

Cheers

Looking forward to it, Tom!

Jung Roe

Hi David

Great idea, it would be awesome to meet up one day. This MLT Community has brought together so many wonderful people, it certainly would be exhilarating to share our passion for MLT and music in person. And if people took pictures when they meet and post it at the Club, wouldn’t that be cool. I hope we can all get to do that!

Bud Jackson

Hi Jung,

I have a question. Somewhere on this site is a place where you can look up all of your personal comments & other peoples’ replies, just to you, (or me, or whoever.) I haven’t been able to find that since I first saw it.

Any clues? — Bud

Jung Roe

Hi Bud

If you click on your profile name, in the drop down menu select “timeline”. There you will see all your posts and replies from others. Also, I found if you select “comments”, it takes you to all your comments globally.

Hope you had a great week. TGIF, I wonder what Mona and Lisa have in store for us tomorrow!

Best

Jung

Bud Jackson

Thanks Jung,

See what I mean? it’s hard to keep up with all the posts & comments! I didn’t see this ’til just now!
      I’ll write that down & give it a try. I get busy often, (like everyone else I suppose,) and it’s hard to comment on everything that I’d like to! I’ve enjoyed ALL of Mona & Lisa’s Friday videos!

Take care! — Bud

Jacki Hopper

Actually….Jung and I did a brief video chat on FB Messenger a few yrs back and on/off , I have video chatted/ just text chatted on FB Messenger with some others from here on FB Messenger too….

I love this idea… I love to do video chats …lol.. I’m a social butterfly … Trust Me, if I ever recognized folks from here in person, you can bet I’d acknowledge them, and I’m sure you’d have no problem recognizing me….The Purple Luv Tad Under 5 feet tall #MLTBuzzLuvGroovified one ….lol😉😊🤘🏻

Tim Arnold

Here’s another classic rock track that has a great bassline intro and throughout the song. There was a time when I really liked the band Aerosmith, especially their first few albums, pure rock. Great work by bassist Tom Hamilton and some equally great guitar work by Joe Perry and Brad Whitford.

https://youtu.be/15aa3WIHk5M?feature=shared

Chris Weber

I have Aerosmith’s first 3 albums, which includes this one, and that’s it. Didn’t buy any after. Sounds similar to what you were saying Tim.

That’s a great bass line in that song.

Jung Roe

Great song Tim, the guitar bassline and vocals are wonderful. One of rock’s iconic classics.

Has anyone mentioned Roundabout by Yes?

Chris Squire is on that Rick.

Yes – Roundabout (Original 1971) – YouTube

Jung Roe

Hi Ed, I know this one, a brilliant song. The opening bars with the acoustic guitar sound and effects is wonderful, and really makes the song. They bring it back again towards the end, and the song takes off with the wonderful guitar work and vocal harmonies. Very nice.

Chris Weber

You might find this interesting – a bit different. Jaco’s debut album. Check the notes – look at who else is playing(!). He had made a name for himself already. My next post is Rick Beato analyzing the first cut on this album. But pick any cut you like. Lol.

https://youtu.be/pvjHT8Lepz8

Chris Weber

Here’s Rick Beato’s analysis of the first cut from Jaco’s album above. ^ ^. I like Rick, he includes the esoterica for guys like me, while also making it (somewhat) comprehensible to anyone else. I think Rick likes it, and he’s not the only one.

https://youtu.be/kjqSBU0v6TU?list=PLGgj9jEo9iqlhw-wEQMI9NvNwlruZzpoa

Bud Jackson

Chris,

I like Beato’s videos. He’s so knowledgeable, & he can demonstrate everything too! I’m thinking of signing up for his lessons. And yeah, Jaco was a monster player! I looked up “greatest jazz bassists of all time.” Google listed 9, & I’ve seen 5 of them live! Charles Mingus, Ron Carter, Marcus Miller, Ray Brown & Stanley Clarke. (I’ve been to a lot of concerts over the years!)

Thanks for posting that!

— Bud

Chris Weber

Bud,

Agreed on Beato. Any guy with his experience knows a thing or two I haven’t heard about. Beato’s interviews are really good too. Saw the one with Yngwie recently; that’s another great one.

There are lots of ratings for bassists, for sure. From your list I’ve seen Ron Carter, who’s from Detroit, so he’s local, and Stanley Clarke, who I saw with RTF, parts of RTF, and also the Stanley Clark – George Duke Band long ago. All those guys you mentioned are great though of course.

Speaking of ratings, if you haven’t seen Beato’s rant on Rolling Stones’s rating of all time guitarists, which I had the same reaction to not long ago, it’s funny. He gets pretty irate.

Bud Jackson

Chris,

I meant to watch the Stones rant, but I’ve just been too busy lately. But I will get to it. Rolling Stone is a great paper, but nobody can be right about everything. Also, without Blues, Jazz, R & B & the like, there would be no Rock! Most Americans I think don’t know much about these Music forms that preceded Rock. To me, I like all of it! And as Duke Ellington said — “There’s only two kinds of Music; good & bad!”

— Bud

Bud Jackson

Chris,

Alright, I just watched the rant about the Stones article on the top 250 Guitarists. Hilarious! It seems that the writer of that article isn’t so knowledgeable about Guitar Greats! I’ve seen George Benson live myself. The guy is incredible, & he’s still around! I don’t know every guitar player that Rick mentioned, but from what I’ve seen of his videos, he KNOWS what he’s talking about!

I wonder if they even mentioned Russell Malone. Another great player who can play any kind of music.

Thanks! — Bud

Jung Roe

I’ve really enjoyed all of Rick Beato’s music analysis I’ve watched including this one. He really delves into the mechanics, structure, and nuances of an artists work and raises music appreciation for me, and I love that his music appreciation and analysis is so diverse covering modern music all the way to classical and everything in between.

Jung Roe

Thanks Chris, listened to the album through, and I can feel the appeal. Such an articulate bass line, accompanied with jazzy piano, sax, flute/recorder I think. Did other things while listening to it, and it evokes such a peaceful easygoing feel. The second last track, that piano really flourishes. Great music.

Chris Weber

I’ve seen Jaco listed as the #2 best bass player of all time. So who’s #1?

Some say James Jamerson. One of the Funk Brothers, the unseen backup band of Motown, whose day gig was playing in what they jokingly called “Studio A”, a little room in Berry Gordy’s basement. At night he played in jazz clubs.

From 1963-1968 he played on 60 top 15 pop singles, 23 #1 pop hits, and 56 #1 R&B hits. I don’t know if those totals count US and UK both though. To put that into perspective, the Beatles had 32 #1 hits, and that number does count both US and UK.

https://youtu.be/H-kA3UtBj4M

Jung Roe

I think Rolling Stones Magazine “greatest of all time…..” lists have lost it’s way lately. It is no longer objective, but rather about equal representation. Their latest “Greatest Album of All Time” list is a joke. Many of the legendary albums have been ejected out of the top 10 and 20, just to give equal representation for later decades. Most of the greatest albums of all time happened in the 60s and 70s, that is a fact, but they fill the top spots with inferior albums from inferior artists of later decades. I mean the Beatles Sgt Pepper that was #1 for decades is not even in the top 10 any more at #24! I mean Prince Purple Rain is rated higher than Sgt Pepper! Excuse my rant!

Tim Arnold

Jung, I listened to the Duo Sessions II through some good headphones last night and in the first song, Everybody’s Talking, Mona is playing Papa Rudi’s Hofner bass. Watching the video many times I never noticed how good the bass sounded in that recording. Maybe too many other distractions in the video like the vocals and Lisa’s finger picking, but with just the audio track that bassline really stands out. In the Livestream Mona used the Hofner on Paul’s song For No One and stated she is new to the bass. For being new to the bass she is a very fine player. I would urge anyone following this forum thread to go listen to just the audio.

Chris Weber

I bought the albums when I joined the Club and noticed what I think you’re saying.

I had been watching videos on YouTube, and when that happens, I see them communicating with each other, I see their fingering and the chords they’re playing, the foot tapping, which instruments they’re using, all of that.

When I listen to the CD in my car, I hear more of what’s going on in the music. Including a lot of stuff that you can’t see in the video, you can only hear it, like the extra instruments in the background.

When I’m working on my laptop, I have the music playing in the background, but not in view, usually from a YouTube playlist. There are songs that start with loud footsteps. But I know which songs they are – if there’s a strong wind blowing, it’s Starman. If I hear the creak of a door, it’s I Bought Myself a Politician.

Tim Arnold

Yeah Chris, that is exactly what I’m talking about. Back in the day, before cable TV, MTV, and of course the internet all we got was the recorded music on records or tapes and the music really had to stand on it’s own without the distractions of the videos. Don’t get me wrong because I love watching Mona and Lisa play on their videos and usually watch them a few times to catch what they are doing with their instruments and vocally. But, when the music alone turns me on and makes me replay it to hear everything, that is something special. I spend a lot of time working on projects outdoors with my phone tucked in my shirt pocket and headphones, listening to the club jukebox. Many times I stop working to replay a song just to hear a harmony or a guitar solo. I have never heard a song that I don’t like. I can’t even say that about the Beatles.

You are so right, Tim. These simple mixes sound so clean, especially through earbuds. Mona’s bass sounds awesome. They are both very humble about their abilities. I think Mona’s voice is perfect for Everbody’s Talking. After this I listened to Teach Your Children, again. I know we all find this special because of the family dynamic, go Rudi! I think this is a great cover of this timeless masterpiece on it’s own. Their harmonies are so kool. Then again, why not embrace this as a father teaching his children? I hear Rudi “stuck in the middle”.

JP

Jung Roe

Hi Tim

That saying “God is in the details”, it’s very true in good music, especially listening to MLT music. Their musicianship is so honed to perfection in sensitivity and expression, when you zero into a layer, like Mona’s bass line, it sounds wonderful; the intricacies and nuance in the music pattern is beautiful. What is so amazing is how beautifully they sing and harmonize with such richness and magic, and yet at the same time they are doing the guitar work so impeccably. That is why with truly great music, you never tire of it. Whenever you hear it, you can get something new out of it, a perspective or fresh feel unique to that moment. I find that the case with all of MLTs albums, especially the originals. Wow the richness and nuances in WHY? is amazing!

Tim Arnold

Jung, I love all your eloquent words to describe this music. To be honest I’m pretty much at a loss for words, especially after listening to Duo Sessions II 5 or 6 times now. I’ve heard most of these songs many times already but when they play back to back it is something magical. They are only getting better and that kind of scares me, Lol. I am ready to take all my other cds to the Goodwill and tell them I’m just not going to need these, they are just collecting dust.

Page 3 of 3