MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum General Discussion 21st century music that may not be widely known to some MLT club members

• Jacki Hopper

18/04/2024 at 17:05

Yes, Bauchach/David, wwre phenomenal songwriters ( Burt did a cameo in one of the Austin Powers movies ), and Dusty Springfield did the best interpretations of his stuff, in my opinion yes, I’m a Dusty Springfield fan, and you’ve got to explore beyond her hit stuff, she, like Cass Elliot ( not keen on the “Mama Cass” moniker, to me it’s downgrading her ), was, had been gifted/bestowed upon with Blessed Versatile Vocals that could do justice with whatever genre… Sadly, in my opinion, each had also the unfairness of having the focus shifted on their personal lives/appearances, etc that overshadowed them as a whole , not giving them proper respect until later in life, and posthumously….

Cass’s solo stuff, her collaboration with Dave Mason, fab, her backup vocals along with Michelle on Denny’s solo album ” Waiting For A Song “– Sadly her last recording efforts before she passed but also special as in she wrote the linear notes on that album of Denny’s and secondly, in a small way, it was kinda a “mini-Mamas & Papas” reunion of vocal sorts … she( Cass ) definitely wanted to set a separate defining style of her own, when she went solo ….

Speaking of Karen Carpenter, Dusty along with Richard Carpenter did a song(I think it was a cover or maybe Karen was going to do the song but sadly passed before doing or

finishing it , so Richard got Dusty to do it ) , the song is called ” Something In Your Eyes ” and it predates Dusty’s duet with the Pet Shop Boys ” What Have I Done To Deserve This “, I hadn’t realized growing up as a kid in tge 70s that Karen was a drummer , always just knew her as a singer until decades later, when I found out she could certainly drum it up ….

As for Dusty, , her career expanded over the years in style, music genres, and even did most, if not all the producing of her own stuff ( back when it was unheard to have women take credit for ), had been in a Trio called ” Lana Sisters “, then onto ” The Springfields “, with her older brother Tom, who in turn wrote ” Georgy Girl ” /If I Find Another You ” & few other hit songs for the Seekers but later in her career, it was publicly okay to acknowledge, she was ahead of her time in many ways, and she did a duet song with Cilla Black– “Heaet and Soul ” back in the 90s but had appeared together on Cilla’s show in the 60s, did a couple of soundtrack songs for movies -“Nothing Has Been Proven ” for Scandal movie , ” Look of Love –A James Bond movie “, ” Son of a Preacher Man- SOPM was in the Pulp Fiction movie ), she did a tv theme song with BJ Thomas -” Growing Pains ” …..

In essence, in my view/opinion, it’s very rare, to come across the quality /craftsmanship-musicianship of yesteryears–to be injected/ respectfully done up in today’s bulk of music landscape, which for me lacks…. it seems more on wannabes, looks, etc, record companies doing what they can to profit , etc, even if the talent isn’t completely genuine from get-go, or none at all but the person ‘s vanity, was enough to get them signed, fix the calibre of vocals , etc. later on, after being signed ….

As I’ve said before, not many recent/present day musicians out there in whatever genres, that I’m keen to like, that’s had an immediate impact/got my attention like MLT did when I discovered them 16 yrs ago … that’s saying much for me…. the whole pkg of instrumentation/emotion/vocals/lyrics, must strike an immediate chord with me or it just won’t jive with me… also important to me for my ears/hearing sensitivity issues sakes, to avoid are musicians/singers like Neil Young/Willie Nelson, whose Nasal distinctive pronounced/prominent vocals when they sing, just can’t handle listening, triggers anxiety, etc with me, I just can’t listen to their stuff , or anyone else who has that prominent Neil Young/Willie Nelson style type distinctive nasal tone, I’m sorry but I just can’t listen to that.., thus why I’m not a fan at all of Willie/Neil–awesome songwriters , just not singing voices for/to me personally….

Now Glass Tiger , I’ve loved their stuff from Get-Go back in early 80s, grew up with in my teen yrs /met them too back then but their more recent stuff, is what I prefer from/of them, I just love that slightly more edgier sound, they rock n roll fab live, I can attest to….

For anyone who thinks/thought they are bubble gummy stuff ( Don’t Forget Me/Someday – notably) , and/or associate strictly GT with those 2 songs and therefore presume/conclude that is their style… Nope…. they were actually a barband doing rock covers aways back under a different name-Tokyo before changing name to Glass Tiger, and going from then onwards, ,they are tge one of few musicians of who’s music /still a fan of throughout tge decades, aside from Beatles etc…,

Sorry, got into novel mode kinda here…. that’s tge poet/writer in me … lol …I get enthusiastic, and just get into detail, can’t stop until I’ve said all that I wanted to… please forgive me….lol

Basically in a nutshell … I enjoy today’s music scene rarely but if some old school essences are present and the talent is genuine , catches my eyes/music ears from Get -Go, then I’ll enjoy, otherwise , I’m set in my ways of #MLTBuzzLuvGroovified enjoyment , enjoying old school music I grew up with, still enjoy ….🤘

• Paul

18/04/2024 at 20:26

Hi Jacki,

I also love Dusty and I think that she had had a fabulous voice and was a rare talent. I also loved Cass’s voice and it was such a shame that she died so young.

I agree with you that there aren’t that many singers or groups this century that have the same attraction to me as those in the 60s, 70s and maybe 80s. But I would say that there are some decent ones out there, but they’re just a lot harder to find. I would hope that one ore two suggestions on this thread by MLT club members may have piqued your interest, but if not, that’s understandable as we all have different musical tastes. Hopefully someone will come along with an artist that you might like (nearly) as much as those 60s and 70s singers/groups that you love.

• Jacki Hopper

19/04/2024 at 00:31

Thankyou Paul…. and you’ve hit the nail upon and I agree…. outside of MLT, we all have our own set music tastes and perhaps besides Dusty, Cass, Amy Winehouse, Glass Tiger, etc that of whom I do enjoy music of, there may well be suggestions on here that may intrigue/ instantly make an impact positively from Get-Go such as MLT did for me …. but that is the key factor.. it must immediately and immensely have a Positivity-fied impact with me, musically to my ears, etc .. Don’t worry, I’m sure there is something new I’ll enjoy from other s who’ve shared suggestions… I do enjoy my music, it just has to truly and profoundly Resonate with me from the Get-Go … I still enjoy all the oldies from yesteryear that have moved me too… those still move me happy , after all those decades …. That does matter / speaks volumes, loud n clear … 🤘🏻

• Paul

19/04/2024 at 08:43

I fully understand your viewpoint and have no issues with it whatsoever. I’m always interested in trying to find new music, but rest assured that I am captivated by the wonderful Twins’ music and am playing their music in a lot of my free time!

• Pete White

18/04/2024 at 23:39

Here is a real story concerning Karen Carpenter’s singing. I read it somewhere long ago and shamelessly incorporated it into fanfiction I am writing, setting it in or soon after the Vietnam war time period. My guess, as I wrote, is that it involved some sort of CIA ops in Laos far to the North at the Chinese border, but it’s just a guess because lots of sneaky stuff was happening in that area at the time.

<<While they all curled up in the bay
    window’s seat Ash related a story told to him. “Guy in one of
    my groups, in some earlier function he was in Laos, way up in the
    north right at the Chinese border. Some kind of spy mission, I
    think, he wouldn’t say. He had to wait to meet someone or maybe did
    and had to wait for his ride back. He’d been told to stay with a
    couple border guards.” They had antique weapons, probably with
    no ammo, looking out of their retreat over a valley where nothing
    ever happened. Just teens really. A lonely, isolated post. The
    guards and the guy didn’t have each other’s languages, though they
    all knew a little bit of French.

The two kids perceived his restlessness, spoke together and one of
    them went in back and came out with an antique windup record player
    and a 45 rpm record. He wound it up, most carefully removed the
    record from it’s paper sleeve and reverently placed the needle on the
    record which hissed and crackled with age and wear. Turned and spoke
    to him with careful enunciation. “Care-en Car-pen-ter”.
    The music started. “It was Neil Sedaka’s ‘Solitaire’, Em. And
    he said those two teen male Laotian border guards sang along with
    Karen as though they were at Carnegie Hall in tuxedos, singing in
    stunning, perfect harmony, getting each foreign syllable absolutely
    right. He said it was just simply astounding,” (This is a real
    story)>>

<title></title><style type=”text/css”>

</style>

• Paul

21/04/2024 at 10:24

Next up from me is a Canadian band who have had numerous single hits in their home country and the UK but only one very minor hit in the US. It’s Arcade Fire and I love the way that they just seem to throw everything at their recordings – guitars, drums, violin, viola, horn, accordion, piano, synthesizer, mandolin and, in the first clip below, even a hurdy gurdy! Their music doesn’t always do it for me, but here are two of their songs that I like.

The second one is a bit unusual in that it has the charming Régine, the normal lead singer’s other half, taking on lead vocals, something which I think she should be allowed to do more. Her performance in the video is almost childlike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSv1om_7DgU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuSbELCNloc

• Paul

23/04/2024 at 10:03

I will now move on to an Irish singer called Kathy Crinion who probably very few members have heard of before. I only found her because she appears in the same Irish music show (Green Room with Paul Cox) as a showing of the girls’ videos for “June”. And “When You’re Strange”. A full video of that Green Room show is available somewhere on here because that’s where I originally found it, but I can’t, for the life of me, track it down at the moment. I did, however, manage to find it on YouTube, so here’s the full show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNszq6TlTic

For ease of reference, the MLT videos appear at about 5:45 and 45:10 and Kathy Crinion is at about 9:50.

As the quirky presenter says, Kathy’s voice, on this song, at least, is quite reminiscent of Karen Carpenter and I think that it’s a lovely performance of a nice ballad. When I tried to find out what else she has done, the answer appears to be “not very much”. I did come across an EP and an album of hers, but most of the album (“Lovin’ What I Do”) is a bit too “twangified” (if there is such a word!) country music for me. I did, however, like her cover of Queen of Hearts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9HYoTjWgYM

If you don’t like Kathy Crinion, then there is another singer/group in the Green Room video above that some might prefer. The singer is called Kate Davis and she is part of a jazz trio (piano, double bass and drums) performing “All About That Bass” at about 29 mins in the video.

• Bud Jackson

28/04/2024 at 23:41

Paul,

I watched the Green Room video, & it was nice to see our MLT’s on there playing an original & a cover! I liked “All About That Bass,” but have you heard Esperanza Spaulding yet? I saw her live in a Jazz club about a year ago, after seeing a bunch of her videos!

Esperanza Spalding performing “On The Sunny Side Of The Street” (2016) (youtube.com)

Here’s Esperanza (b. 18th of April, 1984 in Portland, Oregon,) playing a funky Brazilian tune live in Spain in 2009.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQtXo4tiZxs

I hope you enjoyed these, as i also enjoyed your videos! — Bud

• Bud Jackson

28/04/2024 at 23:59

Paul,

For some reason, the 2nd link I copied came out the same as the first! I’ll try again! (The URL won’t copy, so go to YouTube & type in “Esperanza Spaulding — Coisa Feita live in San Sabastian, July 23, 2009.”

I looked up Esperanza Spaulding, & her dad is African American, while her mother is Welsh, Native American & Hispanic! How’s that for a combination? (This Link SHOULD WORK!)

Esperanza Spalding – “Coisa Feita” (Live in San Sebastian july 23, 2009 – 7/9) (youtube.com)

• Chris Weber

29/04/2024 at 06:58

Bud, thanks for posting Esperanza. She’s been on my short list of people to see live for a long time, and it still hasn’t happened.

I’ve seen the vid with the Obamas before, that’s great and really shows what a great entertainer she is. I’ve seen other vids from that gig in San Sebastian, but not Coisa Feita before. So thanks for that one.

It made me suspect that whole concert is online, and it looks like it is. Awesome.

• Paul

29/04/2024 at 10:01

Hey Bud, good to hear from you again. I hope that your work situation has improved for you recently and that you’ve got over your cold.

No, I haven’t heard Esperanza before and I am really impressed, so thanks a lot for posting the videos of her. She’s got an excellent voice and can certainly play the bass guitar and double bass. In fact, because she comes across as so cool and stylish, she reminds me a bit of Phil Lynott, the leader singer of Thin Lizzy, who also plays the bass and is a cool dude too (but obviously a different type of music). They even have similar hairstyles! If you’ve not heard of Thin Lizzy, here they are performing probably their best-known hit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WDSY8Kaf6o

I wish that my Portuguese was better. I briefly learned it at work when it looked like the Lloyd’s broker that I was working for was going to get a lot of new Brazilian business, but it never materialised, so the lessons were sadly dropped!

Glad that you liked the rendition of “All About The Bass” in the Green Room video too.

• Bud Jackson

05/05/2024 at 21:33

Paul,

Thanks for your comments! I heard of Thin Lizzy way back when but didn’t follow them. But I DO like his voice, the band & this song! Thanks for posting this!

— Bud

• Chris Weber

29/04/2024 at 06:45

Paul, thanks for those posts, I enjoyed them. Ok, my favorites were Mona and Lisa, no surprise, but I liked Kathy Crinion as well. I was thinking saying someone sings like Karen Carpenter is high praise indeed, but I see what you mean, her voice is similar, and I liked that song of hers.

And, from below, I liked Beth Rowley and the Zutons too. Watching this I was reminded that yes, I don’t see a lot of bands from the UK over here in America, but at the same time, I probably could if I went looking.

A lot of times when I go looking for American bands making music now, I’m not always fond of them, so thanks for picking out these that you knew.

• Paul

29/04/2024 at 10:13

Thanks for your kind words, Chris. I’m glad that you liked a few of the artists that I have recently posted on here. I’m certainly enjoying posting them and if one or two people like a few of the artists, then I’ve achieved my objective. On the other hand, I’m sure that quite a lot of the singers or groups that I have posted haven’t hit the mark with many members. That’s fine as we all have different music tastes. There’s still a few more in the pipeline, though, so watch this space!

PS. See below for a couple more Beth Rowley tracks.

• Paul

25/04/2024 at 09:02

Since Liverpool FC were beaten by Everton FC last night to put a huge dent in the former’s chances of winning the English Premiership this year, I thought that I would post a couple of songs by a Liverpudlian indie rock band in the hope that it might cheer up some Reds’ fans. The band is called the Zutons, who have secured a number of hits in the UK, but do not appear to have achieved success in the US.

They are fairly unique in that their line-up includes a lady saxophonist and also it may not be widely known that they wrote and recorded “Valerie” before Amy Winehouse had a huge hit with the song with Mark Ronson. The Zutons’s version reached no.9 in the UK charts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3xpmfJp0Xc

One of their more recent catchy upbeat hits in the UK, also written by them, is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc8JczXusnY

• Paul

28/04/2024 at 09:35

The English jazz/pop/R&B singer Beth Rowley got a lot or airplay in the UK when her LP “Little Dreamer” was released in 2008 and I think that she’s got a really distinctive voice. This is one of the up-tempo singles from the album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUbrg7QbNZo

And this, I think, is an excellent cover of Willie Nelson’s “Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground” in which she duets with Duke Special, with some nice harmonies between the two of them towards the end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wkk7zwS6uY

• Bud Jackson

28/04/2024 at 22:49

Hi Paul,

All these videos were listed as “unavailable,” but all I had to do was go to YouTube, put her name in & they all came up! I’d never heard of her before! She sounds American, although she’s British, and has a very nice voice & pleasant Visage! I wouldn’t call her a Jazz singer, but I haven’t heard all her recordings. It’s nice that there are so many good newer singers out there!

Thanks! — Bud

• Paul

29/04/2024 at 10:39

Bud, I’m sorry that the videos were “unavailable” for you, but I’m pleased that you found them anyway. Beth Rowley, I think, is one of those artists who is difficult to classify, so I turned to my good friend Dr. Google, who has her listed under the R&B, soul, pop, gospel, jazz genres. You’re right that the 2 tracks that I posted are not really “jazzy”, but this one (“Beautiful Tomorrow”) is more “jazzy”/R&B (I hope that the link works for you this time!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5MgPZYpMbM

In fact, as that is from a live BBC show, it probably won’t work, so try this one for the original recording:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFSJaZAG4NU

And this is the other single from her album “Little Dreamer” (also a bit more “jazzy” with the saxophone):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wCxoJPNft4

I’ve not really heard much of her stuff since the album “Little Dreamer”. I must try and find the time to listen to some of her more recent stuff.

And yes Bud, she is quite easy on the eye too!

• Chris Weber

29/04/2024 at 19:03

Paul,
      I also saw some vids unavailable and found them on YT posted by someone else. I can see the BBC live vid, but not the second one.

I’m not sure what you meant by the other single on Beth Rowley’s Little Dreamer album. Wikipedia mentions 2 songs from that album, Oh My Life and So Sublime. So this second must be Oh My Life?

I see that Little Dreamer album she worked with a jazz saxophonist, Ben Castle, who I also don’t know.

Here’s Oh My Life. A good song.

https://youtu.be/C34wcNw-xGM?list=PLKvcOE5BXirsIod0n2MxM5GG47PJTHpek

• Paul

30/04/2024 at 08:14

Chris,

Sorry about the unavailable videos – country restrictions are a real pain, aren’t they? I see that, on the second one, for some reason, the number 4 is in normal black type in my last post, rather than red YouTube type. I’m not quite sure how that happened, but the “4” should have been part of the YouTube link.

You are quite right to assume that the second single from the album was “Oh My Life”. I meant to include the name in my last post, but I obviously forgot to do so – apologies! FYI, my other favourites from the album are “Sweet Hours”, “I Shall Be Released” and “You Never Called Me Tonight”.

• Bud Jackson

30/04/2024 at 06:06

Yeah Paul,

I saw one of the jazzy ones with the sax — nice! Another was unavailable. So thank you for posting those! However, just so you know, I often can’t watch or reply to all the videos that are posted on the site here, because of my schedule. Right now, I’m just finishing dinner, & it’s 9:51 pm here! Then I have to get up at 6:30 am. But I’m not complaining or looking for sympathy. it’s just a tough schedule. But it will change soon, so no worries! I’m supposed to be retired but after 5 months of this I can use a break! But at least I’m needed, so I’m not dead yet! (Just so you know, I retired 3 years ago, & have been working part-time mostly, but this is actually my FIFTIETH year I’ve been working!)

I think I’m in a similar situation as Mona & Lisa in that I’m so busy that I can’t comment, read everything, or watch TV or movies cause there just ain’t enough time! Also, once my schedule lightens up, I’ve gotta get back to more consistent instrument practice, & also cleaning up our house, which I had to give up on a while back.

I feel bad that I can’t keep up with everyone’s commentary & videos here, but I DO enjoy it, & all of you MLT friends! So I guess I’ll look when I have a little time & continue to make my infrequent comments!

CHEERS to all of you & thanks again! — Bud

• Paul

30/04/2024 at 08:45

Hey Bud,

I’m glad that you liked the one video that you could view.

I would say that there really is no need for you to feel bad that you can’t keep up with posts on here. It’s always nice to read your posts, but if your schedule doesn’t allow you to read/watch/ reply to posts on here, then that’s quite understandable as you can only do so much in a day and you really shouldn’t try to do too much as that’s probably not good for anyone’s health. As you say, if your schedule changes soon and you find that you have some more time to devote to the MLT Club, then great, but if not, then sobeit, but there’s no need to beat yourself up about it.

Have a great day!

• Bud Jackson

01/05/2024 at 02:06

Thanks again Paul,

I’m home from work & eating, but I’m leaving soon for a rehearsal — back at 10 pm, then up tomorrow at 6:30 am. Kind of grueling!

Take care! — Bud

• Paul

01/05/2024 at 09:28

Have a great day, Bud.

• Bud Jackson

02/05/2024 at 06:00

Hey Paul!

Thank you very much for your kind words! I do kind of beat myself up sometimes, if I feel that I don’t reach some kind of perfection! (But who does? OK, BESIDES Mona & Lisa!)
      But I did have a pretty good teaching day at school today, so yay for me!

You might enjoy this video — Taimane Gardner, supreme Ukulele player! She lives where I was born — in Honolulu, Hawaii. Dig this — Taimane’s ancestry from her mother is Samoan, & her dad is German, Irish, French & Swedish!

I posted a video of hers last year on this site, & I got a very nice, positive reply from Lisa herself! Something like, “she makes the ukulele look like fun!” My family went to Hawaii last September, & I checked to see where I could find Taimane performing. But while my family was in Hawaii, Taimane did a US West Coast tour. And one place she played was less than 20 miles & a ferry ride from my house!
      So maybe next time I’ll see her!

Her style is more like Spanish Flamenco. And I STILL really love Lisa’s Uke playing too! — Bud

Taimane on Tour – “North Shore Party” (youtube.com)

Here’s the other video that OUR LISA commented on! Taimane has a very fast, percussive technique with her right hand. She started playing the Uke at age 5!

Carmen / Phantom of the Opera on Ukulele (youtube.com)

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by  Bud Jackson.
    • Paul

02/05/2024 at 11:16

Wow, thanks Bud, this lady is amazing. How she plays the ukulele is utterly mesmerising, as can be seen by the faces of the audience in the first video. Her fingers are SO quick. I wonder how much she has them insured for?

It must have been disappointing to discover that Taimane was playing near your home when you were away in Hawaii. That’s really bad luck! I hope that you get to see her soon.

• Bud Jackson

04/05/2024 at 06:27

Thanks Paul,

I do enjoy great singers, but even more so, singers that play instruments also! Taimane doesn’t sing much, but she does have fabulous technique on the Ukulele! I really like her movements when she’s playing too! She obviously loves to communicate this way with her audiences!

I’m sure I’ll see her live someday, & perhaps get a chance to talk a bit! I’m always finding new or old videos I’ve never seen, just by cruising around on YouTube. For example, here’s another Hawaiian Singer/Guitar & Uke player that I ran across. Unfortunately, he passed away a few years ago in 2020! Another great loss, just as IZ is missed!

This is long, but worth every second! The whole performance is amazing, but for the last 3 minutes, Uncle Willie K’s playing & singing are truly SENSATIONAL! What a crowd pleaser!

— Bud

Willie K – Over The Rainbow – Love Makes A Family (youtube.com)

AND, of course — IZ! (This one ALWAYS gets me!)

OFFICIAL Israel “IZ” Kamakawiwoʻole – White Sandy Beach Video (youtube.com)

• Paul

04/05/2024 at 09:06

Thanks for posting about Willie K and IZ. I really like both of your clips.

Willie K is seriously good, and, as you say, he is definitely a crowd pleaser, but I just felt a bit disappointed that the crowd couldn’t contain themselves until the end because their noise sometimes blocks out his signing and/or playing, but that’s probably just me!

I have to say that IZ got me too, Bud! I wasn’t expecting to hear THAT voice. What a delightfully soft and soothing voice. Beautiful.

• Bud Jackson

05/05/2024 at 21:50

Paul,

I believe that many in the crowd were eager to cheer for Willie, not being aware from his body language that he wasn’t finished yet! Most musicians would see that he might go longer, but maybe not so the average person!

I was very sad & disappointed when I heard that Uncle Willie passed away, but at least he made it 21 years longer than IZ. (Poor souls! They were both so talented!)

Here’s IZ’s most famous recording. They show his funeral at sea when his ashes were ceremoniously deposited into the bay in Hawaii. My family did that very same thing with my Father-in-Law’s ashes back in 2010, & again last September with my Mother-in-Law’s ashes. But it was just several family members & friends with us.

OFFICIAL Somewhere over the Rainbow – Israel “IZ” Kamakawiwoʻole (youtube.com)

• Paul

06/05/2024 at 10:35

Hi Bud,

It’s lovely that they made such a joyous occasion of the scattering of the ashes.

• Tim Arnold

29/04/2024 at 20:17

Has anyone heard of a young Dutch artist named Ivana Raymonda Van Der Veen? I have never heard of her before but a few weeks ago she actually subscribed to my goofy family YouTube channel. I checked out her YouTube channel and found she has been at it for about 12 years and has uploaded over 300 videos and has more than 270,000 subscribers so she is doing something right. Most of her videos are original songs she has written and performed with some popular covers, most of which are by artists like Taylor Swift, Irene Cara, etc. Artists that I don’t seek out or listen too. I have never seen her play an instrument and the music she uses seems digitally manufactured but she does have a decent voice and her videos are well made and edited by her. If she is just subscribing to random YouTube channels to stir up interest I think that is quite an ingenious recruiting tool. Like I said, she obviously knows what she is doing and is very engaging with her subscribers. Just curious if anyone has heard of her, maybe some of the European club members. Here is her most popular video, a cover of The End of the World by Skeeter Davis with over 6 million views.

https://youtu.be/cxtUUTRBN70?feature=shared

• Paul

30/04/2024 at 08:32

Tim,

I can say that I have never personally heard of this young lady before and my initial thought about her subscribing to your family YouTube channel was that it seems a bit cheeky. However, I suppose that, in this dog-eat-dog world, artists have got to try to think of different ways of potentially generating new income and this one, as you say, certainly seems rather ingenious.

• Paul

30/04/2024 at 09:21

My next suggestion is English group Elbow, led by singer-songwriter Guy Garvey. The first song is entitled “One Day Like This” which reached no. 4 in the UK singles chart. It is a song that, quite uniquely, is loved by my wife, my oldest daughter and myself, which just NEVER happens! It featured in the 2012 London Olympics closing ceremony and won an Ivor Novello Award for Best Song Musically and Lyrically in 2011. The video features some nice sign spinning too and I like Guy’s Macunian accent shining through!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NFV8dHrZYM

The band have had a number of charting singles in the UK since 2001, including this one which is more up-tempo and somewhat aggressive in places (“Grounds for Divorce”). I love the guitars on this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxczVhG0os8

They also recorded a nice cover of “Golden Slumbers”.

• Pete White

01/05/2024 at 01:35

This is from 2011 and so is 21st Century, check. One of the adjacent YouTube offerings says “why isn’t this person better known?” and I wholly agree. Two years ago she was on ‘America’s Got Talent’ doing the now-current slow version of Ah Ha’s ‘Take On Me’ and it was just amazing. Powerful singer and with a great group, ‘Pink Martini’. Piano player is the founder/boss. The song is from a ’40s movie though I now forget the title/original singer. Please welcome Storm Large and ‘Amado Mio’ with hopes she will get the attention she deserves! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCbzWiJLVhk

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by  Pete White.
    • Paul

01/05/2024 at 09:32

She’s got a great voice, Pete. As you say, it’s very powerful. And the band is excellent too. For some reason, the pianist reminded me a bit of Mona, possibly because neither of them can seem to keep still for more than a few seconds when on stage!

• Paul

02/05/2024 at 11:32

This next group is an English indie folk band who had 2 top 20 UK singles and other minor hits between 2007 and 2013 and who appear to have split a couple of years after that. There were called Noah And The Whale.

This catchy ditty (“Five Years Time”) is their biggest hit, reaching no. 7 in the UK chart. It includes a ukulele, violin and tin whistle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8YCSJpF4g4

“Tonight’s the Kind of Night” was one of their minor hits in 2011:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDudIT93m_s

“L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N.” was their other top 20
    single

• Pete White

03/05/2024 at 00:00

I am shamelessly and admittedly cheating with this one because it was recorded by the late Leslie Gore back when she was 17 in <1963>. But it has been beautifully brought forward into the light of the 21st Century some two weeks ago by Giulia of ‘Shut Up and Kiss Me’ and I thought it can reach a whole new generation, much as the Twins’ work is reaching out to people in our time. Amazingly for something from the early 1960s it is pretty much what some would call a Feminist declaration, something still needed in these days of Harvey Weinstein and ‘Me Too’. Please enjoy “You Don’t Own Me”. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcigR1G6XQI

• Jung Roe

04/05/2024 at 07:55

I honestly can’t think of any music in the last 24 years, except MLT and the latest Beatles Now and Then that interested me much in new music. This one came out in 1998, so if I can bend the rules of this post a little, I will mention this. This is my very favourite from the 80s pop legend Madonna. This and Frozen are critically acclaimed as Madonna’s best, and I have to agree, one of the few pop CDs I bought in the 21st Century. Apparently Madonna was inspired by this movie when she wrote Power of Goodbye. Such a great moving song, what a masterpiece, hats off to Madonna.

https://youtu.be/VqFlKEzx8n0?si=W3GO6jmmgjFVK1h0

• Jung Roe

04/05/2024 at 08:27
    • Paul

04/05/2024 at 09:18

Jung, thanks for your posts. You certainly know how to bend the rules as your posts are just so wrong for this thread for many reasons! 😁 But, we’ll let you off…. just this once.😉

I very much like those 2 songs too, but, for me, there is one of her songs that stands out from this century although it still doesn’t hit the full brief of this thread because of her worldwide fame. That song is “Masterpiece”, which also gives an inadvertent plug to our favourite girls near the beginning of the song!😉:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxDWBmlAT8A

• Jung Roe

04/05/2024 at 17:56

Hi Paul. I wasn’t even aware of Madonna’s song Masterpiece nor the film she produced “W.E”, themed around King Edwards advocation of the throne for love. I like the song very much and the video. 👍😉 While I brushed Madonna off for a long time in the 80s as just a commercialized POP star sex symbol, it’s her music later in her career as she matured I really liked and ended up admiring her as a real creative artist. She wrote most of her big songs. Some other early songs of hers I liked was Like A Prayer, and Crazy For You. I watched the trailer for W.E., it looks intriguing, will have to look for it. Thanks for drawing my attention to “Masterpiece”.🙂

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by  Jung Roe.
    • Paul

04/05/2024 at 21:27

Hi Jung, You may not have been aware of “Masterpiece” as it may only have been released as a single in the UK, where it reached no. 68 (which I think is disappointing for such a good song, but what do I know?). I haven’t seen the film “W.E.” either, so I can’t give you a review of it, I’m afraid.

I also very much like “Crazy for You”. Others of hers that I particularly like are “Papa Don’t Preach”, “You’ll See” and “This Used To Be My Playground”.

• Jung Roe

05/05/2024 at 11:00

Hi Paul

Papa Don’t Preach was a great song too, haven’t seen that video in ages! What a blast from the past. It’s such a beautiful video about a father’s unconditional love, no matter what happens. Oops, I keep going off on a tangent from the theme of this thread.

https://youtu.be/G333Is7VPOg?si=Z9R5EVrxF6psrgky

• Bud Jackson

05/05/2024 at 21:10

Hi Jung,

I’m not a big Madonna fan, but I do like some of her stuff like this one, & “Like a Virgin” plus a few others. I saw her live once in ’86 or ’87. I just have other singers I’m into a lot more. But not to take away from Madonna’s talent!

For some reason, when Cindy Lauper appeared on the scene, she reminded me a bit of Madonna, but I liked Cindy a lot better! “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” is kind of a much different take on “Like A Virgin,” which seemed pretty risqué back in the ’80’s. I know that I preferred Cindy because she was funny & didn’t take herself too seriously! (Similar to the Mona Lisa Twins!) She just had fun! She was probably the first one I saw who wore the crazy-colored hair, & I actually liked the look!

Also, I loved her performance on MJ’s “We are the World.” AND, the Jazz Trumpeter Miles Davis did a cover of Cindy’s song “Time After Time,” which I saw him do live! In an interview, Cindy said that when she was a kid, she & her sibling would jump up & down on the couch & sing along with recordings of Louis Armstrong!

So again, I’m not putting down Madonna! But watching a few of her videos reminded me of Cindy Lauper. Now go figure! (Try NOT to jump up & down on the couch when you watch this!)

— Bud

Cyndi Lauper – Girls Just Want To Have Fun (Official Video) (youtube.com)

• Paul

04/05/2024 at 09:59

The wacky (well, that’s how she comes across in interviews and some of her performances) English singer-songwriter Paloma Faith has had a number of UK charting singles since 2009 but has not found similar success with singles in the States so far.

This is one of her early charting singles (“Upside Down”) from 2010:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDeB5sDealI

And this is probably my favourite of hers, “Can’t Rely on You”, from 2014:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4reFIP1s6w

If anyone is interested in exploring her music
    further, I would suggest “Stone Cold Sober”, “Do You Want the Truth or
    Something Beautiful”, “New York”, Picking Up the Pieces”, “30-minute Love
    Affair”, “Never Tear Us Apart”, “Only Love Can Hurt Like This” and a cover of
    Mama Cass’s “Make Your Own Kind of Music”.

• Jung Roe

05/05/2024 at 07:59

Hi Paul

Come to think of it, I just remembered back in the very early 2000s there was one group who did this kind of heavy metal meets classical that appealed to me, and I saw a couple of videos of them that I thought was interesting. In my own music path, I went from AC/DC in the mid 80s to Beethoven in early 90s, and always felt a link between the effects of hard rock and hard classical. There is something in common there when I used to really get into Angus Young’s guitar work, and Beethoven’s hard playing Piano Sonata pieces. There is an arch between the piano ivories to the electric guitar strings.

https://youtu.be/5anLPw0Efmo?si=ECpkJ-zvfhYrJfDO

• Paul

05/05/2024 at 09:45

My older daughter used to be a big fan of Evanescence when she was younger. Not sure if she still is though.

• Andy Newman

05/05/2024 at 15:02

My immortal is a great track Amy Lee has a great voice very emotional

• Jung Roe

05/05/2024 at 08:10

Beethoven on electric guitar strings.

https://youtu.be/o6rBK0BqL2w?si=q8gvq_j0_QU6fd8p

• Jung Roe

05/05/2024 at 08:10

Versus Beethoven on ivory piano keys

Choose your like.

https://youtu.be/c-zCkDOwNTs?si=Cs8mB3vj-w_0gbn2

• Bud Jackson

05/05/2024 at 20:44

FABULOUS! — Bud

• Bud Jackson

05/05/2024 at 20:41

Jung,

IF she has a boyfriend, he’s gonna have to compete with that guitar for quality time! I’ve never seen or heard someone play the guitar like that! Is that against the law?!?! — Bud

Page 2 of 3