• Jeannette Wannamaker

01/01/2023 at 17:34

I saw Loreena perform this live in London, Ontario this past December 4th at a local church. It was a wonderful, intimate concert of music and storytelling – food for the soul!

• Roger Penn

01/01/2023 at 21:24

Wow, jealous. Very nice.

• Jeannette Wannamaker

01/01/2023 at 22:32

It was amazing. Cedric Smith did a dramatic reading of “A Child’s Christmas in Wales” by Dylan Thomas in the second set, interspersed with musical numbers. Completely magical evening.

• Tom Fones

01/01/2023 at 23:25

Jeannette,

thanks for responding.

You seem like the right person to ask what i am curious about.

Is Loreena McKennitt’s cello player also Sarah MacLachlan’s cello (and guitar) player?

Do you recognize her?

I just saw MacLachlan here in California in September.

It looks like the same lady on Cello.

• Jeannette Wannamaker

01/01/2023 at 23:36

I don’t think so, Tom. Sarah Mclachlan has worked with a cellist named <b style=”font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; color: var(–bb-body-text-color);”>Vanessa Freebairn-Smith and Loreena McKennitt’s cellist is Caroline Lavelle. The two women do have a similar look although Caroline is older than the other. Sarah is another wonderful Canadian performer. My daughter had the honour of presenting with Sarah during the 2019 Juno awards ceremony. It was a real thrill for us to meet her and discover what a down to earth person she is!

• Jürgen

01/01/2023 at 21:32

Thank you Tom, enchanting music that invites you to dream. All the best for the new year to you too!

https://youtu.be/Z77PR0JA0gU

• Tom Fones

01/01/2023 at 23:52

The Lady of Shalott is one of my favorites Juergen.

Nice

• Jung Roe

01/01/2023 at 21:47

I had a couple of Loreena McKennitt CDs in the 90s, nice New Age music I enjoyed. I didn’t know she was Canadian.

• Jeannette Wannamaker

01/01/2023 at 22:37

Loreena lives about a 45 minute drive from me in Stratford, Ontario. Her son attended the same elementary school as my daughter. She is an exceptionally bright, articulate person and I’ve had the pleasure of conversing with her at school potlucks in the park. She once did a benefit concert for the school in the school’s Great Hall – a room that holds no more than 150 people – very intimate and lovely.

• Jung Roe

02/01/2023 at 21:28

Hi Jeannette

Wow that is quite something that Loreena is a part of your community. What a small world.

It’s funny I discover so many music artists I admired, turns out they are Canadian! I remember on the forum Lisa mentioned Joni Mitchell is one of her favourite female singers, and later learning hey Joni Mitchell is Canadian too. I guess there are a lot of great artists who are Canadian, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, Gordon Lightfoot, Bryan Adams, Sarah McLachlan…and a host of others I will discover are Canadian too! HAHAHA.

Bryan Adams grew up near my neighbourhood, going to a rival highschool, even saw him at a coffee shop once near where I work downtown.

• Daryl Jones

02/01/2023 at 00:20

Lorena is one of my favorite performers/creators of incredible musical art. I have several of her works in my collection. I can’t even count the times I’ve turned the lights down and listened to Mask and Mirror alone in the dark. To hear that one of us here is conversant with her is nothing short of amazing! Sarah is also (I think) a National Treasure. I watched a documentary on Gordon Lightfoot (another of my homegrown idols musically) last night where Sarah added commentary. We actually have a wealth of Canadian talent that sometimes gets overlooked on the larger International scene. But Loreena is in a class by herself clearly. Thanks for posting this Tom!

• Len Upton

02/01/2023 at 04:35

Loreena and another person from a completely different musical genre (hippity hop/rap I think), were interviewed on CBC Television recently. The topic was the economic challenges of touring in these times. Loreena had come to the conclusion that touring across Canada, especially the Prairies, was not so viable considering expenses and distances between venues. Consequently, she was sticking to Ontario and Quebec for the time being, where, the many towns and cities have, and will have, the opportunity to see her for the first time in quite a while. Lucky Jeanette!

Bruce Cockburn, on the other hand, is giving it a try in a few weeks, with a 50th anniversary tour. Commencing in San Francisco, where he lives, the itinerary has him going up the coast to Vancouver, then east into the chilly wintery Prairies before dropping down into the American mid-west. This one not to miss. I’m hoping for full band. The songs already running around in my head. If A Tree Falls In The Forest, Lovers In A Dangerous Time, If I Had A Rocket Launcher, Waiting For A Miracle, among others. If someone was looking for a little politics in their lyrics, the songs of Bruce Cockburn are ones you might want to know about.

• Daryl Jones

02/01/2023 at 14:58

Bruce is indeed a wee bit “opinionated” I’m his messages. But still is a fabulous writer.

Canada can be a but enigmatic for musicians that wish to tour throughout the course of the year due to the great distances to travel. Of course, now is even more challenging with the foulups with airlines and airports. I’m fortunate to be in reasonable proximity to a great music city in Edmonton, we get some stupendous acts coming through that some other major cities don’t always see (Calgary included) and the concert faithful are blessed with great performances in several venues that Edmonton has available.

This summer Edmonton is hosting a 3 day blues festival with some serious blues headliners (Samantha Fish, Colin James…) that I certainly hope to take in if my m/c racing schedule permits.

On the original subject, Loreena would be very well received in Edmonton I’m sure. I know I would definitely be there if she could manage the tour arrangements.

Of course, a certain pair of gorgeous and fabulous “Twins” would be epic!

• Tom Fones

02/01/2023 at 15:50

A nugget of Gord’s gold i wasn’t familair with Jeannette. Thanks.

Daryl I missed Samantha Fish out here in Grass Valley last May. I regret it.

We still haven’t heard from Jacki H.

• Daryl Jones

02/01/2023 at 16:55

A jamming partner mentioned Samantha a while ago and I’ve been following her ever since. I’m on a bit of a blues kick right now and I’m discovering more of myself through it. Trust me, I’m no Freddie King but I’m going down that rabbit hole ever deeper.

• Tom Fones

02/01/2023 at 17:55

Well Daryl,

since you mentioned the blues…. here you go. A Bay Area favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoTBze2uIVE

• Daryl Jones

03/01/2023 at 00:04

Nice, I like the drive in that!

• Christopher

03/01/2023 at 01:03

Canada is blessed with lots of unique, special, and awesome musical artists…Holly Cole, Serena Ryder, Luba, Jann Arden, and today, with the rise of Jaden Rylee. Simply outstanding!

• Jacki Hopper

03/01/2023 at 02:12

Canada is chock full of talent …. even back when ….. 🇨🇦🤘🍁

• Jacki Hopper

03/01/2023 at 02:24

Just to rattle off some famous hometown folks from Ottawa …. Bruce Cockburn , Alanis Morisette , Paul Anka , April Verch, Dan Aykroyd, …..more but my brain can’t think now…..lol

• Jung Roe

03/01/2023 at 15:26

I remember in the 90s there were Enya, Sarah Brightman, and Loreena Mckennit in the same realm of music I liked. I think Enya has the most well known, but if you liked one it was hard not to like the others of the three. I have a Loreena McKennit CD from then I will try to dig up.