MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum General Discussion FREE SNOW (All you want)

• FREE SNOW (All you want)

Posted by Mike Dresen on 15/01/2024 at 22:07

Here in west central lower Michigan, we have lot’s of snow. Friday thru Saturday brought us high winds and 16″ (40cm) of snow with 3′ (1m) drifts Sunday 6″ (15cm) and another 6″ today thru Tuesday afternoon. 2.5′ feet (76cm) in 4 days. I don’t think I have plowed this much snow on the farm in 3 years. All the animals are well fed and well sheltered. LIFE IS GOOD. So if anyone wants free snow come and get it, I will load it for free.šŸ¤£

Mike Dresen replied 6 months, 2 weeks ago 9 Members · 32 Replies
  • 32 Replies
  • Jung Roe

16/01/2024 at 04:09

Hi Mike

I will take some! šŸ˜ Last week I was looking out my window in the afternoon and it was snowing hard out there. The weather forecast called for a couple cm. I was getting excited, but a couple hours later it stopped and we got barely a cm.

Wow, it sounds like you got a lot. Hope you get to enjoy it and have fun with it more than the shoveling and having to drive in it. I remember younger days when it snowed a lot, and we all listened intently for our school to be called out as one of the ones shut down. Snow days were the best, it was like getting an extra fun day in life.

Love your Avatar. ā¤ I love German Shepards, they are so adorable, ours was named Max, miss him much. I like how their ears grow super big when they are puppies, and eventually they grow into them.

• Bud Jackson

18/01/2024 at 04:07

Jung, Mike, Tim, Jacki, Daryl and everyone,

I know that some people like snow, or don’t mind it. Of course, most kids love it, but in the Seattle area we don’t get that much. Only up in the mountains. It was supposed to snow the past week, but we never got it. School was delayed 2 hours today because of the threat of an ice storm, which was very light. But I stayed home sick today, just worn out & with a bad throat — again! Can’t sing!

Typically, Seattle gets snow about once or twice a year, lasting for only 1 — 3 days. I like to go out & walk in it, but I don’t miss it in the years that we get NO snow! Some years the temp. gets down into the 20’s, as in the past week, but I just can’t stand the cold! Now it’s back up in the low 30’s and headed up into the high 40’s & low 50’s by next week! We have similar weather to Liverpool, though warmer in the summer.

Where I live in Western Washington, we have protection from the Olympic Mountains to the west, and the Cascades to the east. And Puget Sound has a more even temp. year ’round from the Japanese current.

I think because I was born in Honolulu, I don’t like the cold, even in Seattle! This week in Honolulu the average high is 80 F, and the average low is 67 F. To me, that’s very comfortable! In the summer there, the temperature is about 7 degrees warmer. It’s pretty even year-round.

We all have our personal likes & dislikes, but someday I’d like to move back to Hawaii. I’m just DONE with the cold! I hope you all survive the Winter, and until Spring, just think of George Harrison’s song — “HERE COMES THE SUN!” It’ll be a “long cold lonely winter.” But — “Here comes the sun, & I say — It’s alright!”

Hope your Winter is just the way you like it to be! Thanks for sharing! — Bud

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by  Bud Jackson.
    • Jung Roe

18/01/2024 at 05:49

Hi Bud

I think the storm that missed Seattle hit us in Vancouver square on. Awoke to a blanket of snow this morning and by noon it was 27 cm in my drive way. By about 3 PM, well over 30 cm, up to my knees. I went for a walk, but really needed snow shoes it was so deep. None of the side streets were plowed so no traffic was getting in or out. We haven’t had this much snow in a long time.

You were born in Honolulu, I’d love to go there now. 80F sounds perfect. We visited there in 2014/15 or so, and Waikiki was everything people said about it and more. I don’t blame you for wanting to go back there to live.

• Bud Jackson

19/01/2024 at 07:24

Hi Jung,

Yeah, Hawaii is very nice, but IS expensive. It’s less expensive on the Big Island, but I’m not sure I’d want to live there because there’s a lot more going on in Oahu. And I love the green Windward side of Oahu, & you’re still close to Honolulu. And years from now, that beautiful city could be partly under water! BUT the Hawaiian Islands are very mountainous, so you can always move UP farther!

The thing about snow in Seattle or Vancouver B.C, as you know, is that we can appreciate it for a short time, because it will be gone again soon. Similar as I said earlier to Liverpool weather.

Let us know when the snow clears away! I hate driving in the Seattle snow because there are so many hills, and car accidents! You have to drive carefully!

Take it easy! — Bud

• Mike Dresen

18/01/2024 at 16:38

Hey Bud

I agree with you, we all have different likes and dislikes, that’s what makes life interesting. With you being from Hawaii I can see you not liking the cold. Hawaii is a beautiful state, and someday I may visit there. I hope you get to move back we all deserve to be HAPPY! Until then make the best of what ya got, stay warm and safe

• Bud Jackson

19/01/2024 at 07:12

Thanks Mike,

I appreciate your kind thoughts. I do love our house & property on 1/2 an acre with lots of trees and plants. I don’t mind working in the yard, but it is a lot of upkeep though. And hard on the hands as I get older. I’d rather save my hands for playing instruments! I love animals and use to take riding lessons. I haven’t been on a horse since 2007 when we visited the farm that my dad grew up on in Cedaredge, Colorado. They used to herd their cattle up to the top of Grand Mesa. It’s something like 10,000 ft. up there! That’s where we rode the horses.

It’s sounds like you have a nice farm. What a romantic notion. You’re very lucky! I’d like to move someday, but we’re not ready yet. I do think about it, and I prefer the weather over there.

OK take care! Livestream tomorrow! — Bud

• Bud Jackson

18/01/2024 at 04:25

Jung,

Snow days off from school are always fun, but then you have to make them up at the end of the school year. But it’s still worth it to have that little break in the Winter!

Also, Animals are the Best People! Take care and stay warm! — Bud

• Mike Dresen

16/01/2024 at 14:25

Hi Jung

It’s so peaceful and quite after a big snowfall, I just sit back and watch the wildlife and the horses and enjoy the view. Because we are so close to Lake Michigan, we get lake effect snow, it can be snowing 1″ (2.5cm) per hour but go inland 15 miles (24km) and clear blue sky. GOTTA LOVE MICHIGAN!

My Avatar was one my last Shepard’s Izzy she was by my side for 12 years, she loved the farm and is buried here. I lost her brother Zeus 1 week later at the age of 11. Before those two, I had Sampson (Sam) he also LOVED the farm, he was a once in a lifetime dog, he passed at the age of 10 from bone cancer. Sam will be buried with me when I die! I have had Shepard’s most of my life, love the breed!!! By the way, it’s still snowing and is to continue until ThursdayšŸ˜Æ

• Jung Roe

16/01/2024 at 15:16

Hi Mike

Yeah Shepards are the best dogs. Only thing I wish I could change in them is for them to live 40 years. We don’t have kids, so Max was like our boy, we had him for nearly 9 years before he got sick. We still have his ashes and we talked about going down to the river where he loved to play and setting his ashes free. It’s been too hard, but will do that soon one day.

By they way, this morning I checked the weather forecast and 10 to 20 cm forecasted. What a coincidence. Wow, thanks for sending us the snow, that was quick! šŸ˜

• Bud Jackson

18/01/2024 at 04:20

Mike,

People who love animals have a very special connection to all life & to the Earth I believe. I wish they lived longer, but in the short time they’re with us, our lives are truly enhanced! I hope you find another “Sam!”

Best wishes for a Happy New Year! — Bud

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by  Bud Jackson.
    • Mike Dresen

18/01/2024 at 15:19

Hi Bud

I was lucky enough to grow up on a small farm with horses and dogs and of course the wildlife that comes with it. In my youth I hunted small game of all kinds In my late teens I took up Deer hunting. On my third year deer hunt, I was watching a large herd of deer, looking for the next freezer filler and I began to admire the beauty of the animals and the surroundings, that was my last day I hunted.

34 years ago we bought a unused farm, in the process of getting it up running for horses an donkeys and goats and hay production, I also left swales for the deer and build brush piles for rabbits and other critters. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t have a thing about people hunting, my son, grandson, and son in-law all harvested nice bucks off the property this year and I benefit with meat.

I will be 70 this year, my back is a mess, but I still enjoy hopping on a tractor and go out and overlook a fresh cut and raked hay field and watch the Hawks hunting mice or a line of Turkeys jumping over endless windrows of hay. In my opinion, my life has been CHARMED!

• Bud Jackson

18/01/2024 at 15:31

Hi Mike, Jung & Everyone,

Thanks for responding, I read your posts. I’ll have to give longer answers in the next few days. I’m getting ready for work, & afterwards going to a Jazz Club, then work again Friday. I stayed home yesterday with a sore throat & sniffles, but I’ll be back teaching 6 classes again today.

Have a great day, & don’t get buried in the snow! CHEERS! — Bud

• Jacki Hopper

16/01/2024 at 15:53

Ottawa, Canada, hence been monikered as , and truly bestowed that moniker of…..either ” The Snow-iest city in the world or in Canada ” … we finally got our first true winter storm blast last wknd, having 25 cm dumped upon , and at least 2 people in surrounding area died of heart attacks, shoveling…. Though I’m Canadian, I truly do NOT like Winter at all …. Only for Xmas day, and of the scenic beauty it provides, not the actual cold, snow accumulation do I like, nope…. After Xmas, I’d Embrace Summer season , but no humidity…lol… Yes,I’m a late Spring- and a Summer Fan Kinda Gal, bring on warm days, with flowers, slightly cool-warm refreshing breezes…… Ahhhhhhhh… šŸ˜Šā™ØļøšŸŒ”ā˜€ļøšŸŒžšŸ”„šŸ¦‹šŸŒ¹šŸŒøāš˜šŸŒ·šŸŒŗšŸŒ¼šŸ˜Ž

• Mike Dresen

16/01/2024 at 16:21

Hey Jacki

You got the same storm we had. Born and raised in Michigan, I have spent most of my life outdoors. I don’t mind the snow or even the cold temps, but I do not like the windchill.

Being 6 miles (9.5k) from Lake Michigan, we can get several feet of snow and 15 inland 0. My favorite seasons are summer and Fall. As long as I’m suck’en wind I am happy!!!

• Bud Jackson

18/01/2024 at 04:33

Jacki,

I’m with you on enjoying Spring & Summer the most! Btw, my mother’s Dad was a Canadian Mountie at the turn of the Century (from like 1895 to 1907.) He had a dog sled, & once was lost in the Yukon for a month! He passed away when I was one, so I’ve just heard the stories. He was born in Ontario, and I have ancestors that fought on both sides of the Revolutionary War. Just a few fun facts.

Anyway, hope your Winter isn’t too bad! (Gotta get to sleep now so I can go to work in the morning!)

Best Wishes for an early Spring! — Bud

• Mike Dresen

16/01/2024 at 15:58

Your right Jung I wish they could live 40 or more years!

Snow wise, anything else I can help ya with my friend.ā˜ŗ

• Tim Arnold

16/01/2024 at 17:04

Mike , we got plenty of snow in Wisconsin last week too. We got 6″ on Tuesday and another 12″ or so from Thursday thru Saturday. It does look better than the brown grass and leaves we had. I grew up in the country so I don’t mind the snow. Jung, I remember us kids sitting around the breakfast table listening to the radio, waiting for our school to be announced as closed. Then it was time to go play in the snow. I don’t care for the cold temps and wind chills anymore though. Since the snow ended it’s been in the single digits during the day and below zero (Fahrenheit) at night with some pretty good winds, burrrr!!

• Mike Dresen

16/01/2024 at 18:07

Hi Tim

The nice thing about being on the East shore of Lake Michigan is the lake keeps our temps up. It was 10f (-12c) this morning, the coldest temp this year. Once the lake freezes over 70% or more, our temp match our neighbors to the west. I have been in Wisconsin and Minnesota in January and I must say, It’s a different type of cold, don’t know if you can call it a dry cold, but it bites you right to the bone.

You are correct it’s better to look at than the drab brown, and so quit!

• David Herrick

16/01/2024 at 18:45

Kentucky doesn’t get nearly as much snow as the upper midwest, but my town had virtually no snow-removing equipment, so as a kid I also spent many winter weekdays at 6:30 AM listening to the radio while eating Count Chocula (if we were lucky), waiting to find out whether school was closed. A side benefit was hearing and learning some contemporary hit songs. My mom hated the music, but it just so happened that the most frequent school closing reports were broadcast on a top-40 station.

Anyone remember the big blizzard of January 1978? We got 15 inches (38 cm) where I was, and school was closed for an entire month straight! (I blame all shortcomings in my educational achievement on that time lost from my seventh-grade classes.) It was after that that my town started investing in road salt and snow plows.

• Mike Dresen

16/01/2024 at 19:24

Hi David

I remember that storm well. My parents farm was in a rural area with lot’s of open fields, I don’t recall the snow total for sure 36″ sticks in my head and high winds, we had 6 foot drifts. We cleared a path between the 3 neighbors homes. You could not even use a snowmobile. We never saw a plow for a week. That was a storm to remember.

• David Herrick

16/01/2024 at 20:20

Your memory is very accurate, Mike. Wikipedia says “Muskegon, Michigan had up to 33.8 inches of snow in four days due to heavy lake-effect snow squalls after the blizzard began. Winds gusting up to 111 miles per hour (179 km/h) caused drifts that nearly buried some homes.” Apparently Muskegon had the highest measured accumulation anywhere in the system.

Actually, as I was looking this up, I discovered that my blizzard and your blizzard were different events, separated by about nine days. Mine came first, but we picked up a few more inches of snow from yours. And an even bigger one hit the northeast less than two weeks later!

• Mike Dresen

16/01/2024 at 21:06

I remember my dad called me at work at noon and said if you want to make it home leave now, and I did, I made it 200′ from our driveway and got stuck in a 5′ drift I could not see. I was driving a V8 CJ5 Jeep that would go through ALMOST anything but not that, it sat in the middle of the road for a week until the plows came through. The National Guard was called into action to rescue stranded motorists. It was a storm of a lifetime. The one thing I do remember is not being afraid, we had the neighbors to fall back on we had heat and power and food. It was like ant other day but with lots of snow.

• Jacki Hopper

16/01/2024 at 22:27

Can’t recall much of weather during childhood in the 70s …. but I do a time or two, it ended up as Stay Home From School because snow or if at school…we just had fun in class …. but what I do recall vivid is Ice Storm 1998 …. that was a Humdinger …. couldn’t leave house for a few days …

• Daryl Jones

17/01/2024 at 18:42

We’re way down on our normal snowfall this year, but we didn’t escape the deepfreeze. Even though we had a two month reprieve, it hit us in earnest last week. I think I saw the coldest temperature in the 43 years we’ve lived here at the lake. It actually gets much colder in town (25km away) due to the low river valley; typically it gets 10-15 degrees colder when these arctic fronts slide in. The ice fog gets so thick you can barely see across the streets. One of my friends’ thermometer registered -50*c right down by the river on Saturday. Who knows how accurate that is but suffice to say that is very cold.šŸ˜± I looooove my wood stove in the living room!šŸ˜
    Normally by this time of year we have 2-3 feet of the white stuff on the ground, this year we have the ground covered, but that’s all. Snowmobilers aren’t happy at all. I don’t ride anymore so I appreciate only having had to plow the yard twice so far, and have only done the sidewalk and deck 2 times with the shovel. My hand-held blower has done most of the light snow removal.šŸ˜ƒ

• Mike Dresen

17/01/2024 at 19:27

Hey Daryl

I don’t ever recall temps that cold here, again we are kept warm by Lake Michigan to a point. I do remember in my teens snowmobiling @ -20f (-28c). Our norm is a couple days of zero or just below. Our snow total is waaaay down also, we got a surprise 12″ (30cm) on Halloween witch was gone 2 days later and this blast last weekend of 30″ (76cm), Our annual snowfall is around 90″ ( 228cm). I am not going to complain for the lack of snow!!

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by  Mike Dresen.
    • Chris Weber

17/01/2024 at 21:45

Thanks Mike and Jacki for taking most of the snow recently. I’m in Ann Arbor, and only got 7-8″. And I’m in the city so I only have about 10 feet of driveway to shovel too.

But I grew up in Michigan too, so snow doesn’t scare me. I’d rather have snow than ice. We don’t get anything close to what we used to get when I was growing up. I remember shoveling the drive so I could shoot baskets, and it was piled 9-10 feet deep when I was done. That’s throwing it pretty high for a kid.

-50C is -58F, and we’ve never come close to that here.

Coldest I remember it here was -22F. That day I went out and spat on the ground and as fast as I could step on it, it was already frozen.

I remember reading Jack London’s famous story, To Build a Fire, and he talked about temps around 50 below, and said if you spit at that temp, you can hear it snap frozen in mid-air. LIke I said, I’ve never heard that.

Supposed to be in the 20s around here tomorrow, big heat wave.

My nephew lives near Grand Rapids, and my sister near Ludington, so I’ve been in the snow belt near you in the winter time Mike. It’s the fruit belt when it’s warmer, which is nice.

• Mike Dresen

17/01/2024 at 22:45

I have pictures of being 6-7 years old, standing on drifts on the side of the road and an adult could touch the power lines. Thank God that doesn’t happen any more. In the Montague area, which is about 12 miles north of us has alot of open farmland, under the right conditions they still get 10 – 12 foot drifts 1/4 mile long. Winters are nothing like they used to be but it is still a beautiful state. You mention it being the fruit belt, sadly fruit growers are removing orchards at a record pace and selling the land, they can’t compete with imported fruit. For years you could buy sweet and tart cherries, apples, peaches, pears of all varieties from little Mom and Pop road side fruit stands, can’t do that any more!!!

When the temp drops to -15f or colder, a lot of TV station meteorologists will take a pan of boiling water and throw it in the air, the water freezes before it hits the ground. I like to be inside at those temps if possible!!!

• Daryl Jones

18/01/2024 at 15:45

While we will get winter blizzards of pretty horrendous magnitude, they aren’t all that common. Not at all of the lake effect dumps that’s for sure. A foot in a 24 hour period is about the worst we get, but it as been much more on rare occasions. when I was a teen in school, we had a storm that required heavy construction equipment (large cats, loaders and gravel trucks) to open roads to farm homes and clear the town streets. But there were brutal winds accompanying that too. I remember taking photos of us riding snowmobiles with the tops of power poles sticking out of the drifts and plow banks. Our open air skating rink where we recreated and played hockey drifted right full to the top of the boards. And a 30 foot high drift ran from the peak of the neighboring curling rink across the parking lot, across the road and into the school sports field. Roughly 150 yards yards away. And it was like concrete. Took the town about two weeks to dig out from it. Power was out for about two days in various sections of town, and then once the storm abated the bottom fell out of the thermometer into that lovely -30 to -40 range. But that is rare, thankfully. I often wonder what a storm like that here would do today?

• Tim Hilton

18/01/2024 at 23:52

Iā€™m sorryā€¦. All you guys who like snowā€¦. I grew up in South Dakotaā€¦.. lived most of my life and still do in Coloradoā€¦ but I just got back yesterday from Hawaii. It was 80Ā° most of the time during the day. Thursday night it got down to 58Ā°.šŸ˜¬ I had to pull the covers uptight. Soon Iā€™m going to plan my trips around the weather. While I was gone, I was 16 below in South Dakota, Where Iā€™m fromā€¦. And almost 10 below in Colorado. Today it was 40 back in Colorado. Thatā€™s still too cold!šŸ˜¬šŸ¤“šŸ¤™šŸ

• Mike Dresen

19/01/2024 at 03:22

Hi Tim

I have a friend who lives in south Dakota and has told me stories on the weather and the temps out there, not my cup of tea, that’s to cold. My brother live in Beaver Creek Colorado for 10 years, he talked about the wild temp changes, teens one week and 70s the next. I really can’t blame ya for wanting a warmer climate. As I grow older and if I did not love this farm, I could entertain living in a warmer area. I have heard the cost of living in Hawaii is very high, but what a beautiful state!

• Tim Hilton

19/01/2024 at 05:51

Mikeā€¦. Yes, it gets cold in the winterā€¦.. but I love the Colorado summers. Hopefully I will be in Hawaii most of the cold winter. And back in Colorado in the summers. Also, I took a look at your bio just a little bit, you say youā€™re a farmerā€¦ you know thatā€™s the top of the ā€œfood chainā€ literally! You are in the most important occupation on earth! And you live delayed gratification! Good job and thank you!!šŸ¤™šŸ¤™šŸ¤“

• Mike Dresen

19/01/2024 at 15:35

Tim, Colorado in the summer is beautiful, I could live there in the summer.

Now as far as me being a farmer, Ahhhhh, not what you think, I am a Hobby farmer, I have horses, goat’s and chickens, I also grow my own hay for the critters. You are right though, we ALL should thank a true farmer. I think I would have enjoyed being a true farmer! Enjoy Hawaii!šŸ˜Š