• Heart Throbs

Posted by Andrew Butt on 27/01/2022 at 17:35

Hi all in MLT-land. Here’s one for you all, guys & girls. As you were growing up, did you ever have a Pop star that you really fancied [ or even loved, or had a crush on] ? For me it was Lynsey de Paul – I thought she was gorgeous, all tumbling blonde hair and blue eyes. For those of you from outside the UK who may not have heard of her, she was an English singer / songwriter from the early 70s whose biggest hit was Won’t Somebody Dance With Me from 1972 or 3. She also represented the UK in the 1977 Eurovision Song Contest [with Mike Batt] with a song called Rock Bottom which if I remember was pretty much where it ended up! Sadly she passed away in 2014. Well, that’s my secret love revealed, now its over to you…..

David Herrick replied 2 years, 3 months ago 12 Members · 23 Replies
  • 23 Replies
  • Roger Penn

27/01/2022 at 19:10

For me it was Susanna Hoffs. So hot, so talented, and a Rickenbacker to go with it!

• Jim Frei

27/01/2022 at 23:14

Ann Wilson, but then, I kinda liked Nancy too. Another set of sisters that play multiple instruments, albeit, I am pretty sure the MonaLisa Twins have them beat. If I was 25-30 years younger, I’d totally be crushing on the MonaLisa Twins! Not sure which, although I kinda lean towards the redhead.

• Roger Penn

28/01/2022 at 00:35

Hey Jim, good ones! I didn’t get into them until I was older, but had I been when I was younger I totally would agree. I also didn’t want to say it for fear of sounding like a creepy internet stalker, but were younger I, too, would be head over heels for one of our twins. I do know which one, but I’ll never divulge.

• Jung Roe

28/01/2022 at 05:58

I had a massive teenage crush in the 70s when I was about 14 or 15. It was Kristy McNichol and she starred on a weekly TV drama at the time, “Family”. It was on during school nights, Thursdays at 10 PM. I wasn’t allowed to watch TV on school nights, but my parents made an exception so I could stay up and watch it after I finished my homework. My room had a few posters of her and cutouts from those Teen Beat magazines.

In hindsight, I would have been better off if I tried to date a real girl at school instead of living in a dream world. Though there was one evening at a high school campfire on the beach event, where it was really dark on the long rocky trail down to the beach and a girl in my Biology class I liked asked me to help her walk up from the beach and she held my hand along the way. That made me forget all about Kristy McNichol. Silly things we go through when we’re kids.

• Thomas Randall

29/01/2022 at 00:18

Oh man when I was young I had the biggest crush on Karen Carpenter and Barbara Eden. Then Dawn Wells from Gilligan’s Island. Oh to be young again….

• Walter Music

29/01/2022 at 00:30

Great Topic!

I had the biggest crush on Annette Funicello and Linda Ronstadt, and it all started with the Mickey Mouse Club!!!!! Stay Groovy!!!

• David Herrick

29/01/2022 at 01:15

I only had one real showbiz crush, and it came very early: I was seven and she was thirteen. It was June Angela from The Electric Company. And watching clips of the show nearly fifty years later, I can conclude I had good judgment. She was vivacious and multitalented (acting/singing/dancing), and had the brightest smile I’ve ever seen.

• Roger Penn

29/01/2022 at 03:27

OK, for some reason, I thought we were just talking musicians. I guess it does say Pop Star. In which case…OMG…where do I start? I think number one would have been Kim Richards.

• Jacki Hopper

29/01/2022 at 03:58

Far too many to mention here but for TV it was..,lol… Dudes from Dukes of Hazzard …Bobby Ewing /Ray from Dallas Tom Selleck, David Hasselhoff…. and more but these few will do for TV Throbs as for music…,well, Duran Duran, Glass Tiger lads… ( I did meet & still remain lifelong fan-friends with Glass Tiger since 1st meeting them back in 1988/89 ) ….???? probably a few other music guys in different music genres I enjoy but Duran2/GT stand out !!

• Roger Penn

29/01/2022 at 05:12

Wow Jacki you didn’t say Shawn Cassidy! I’m impressed! 😀

• Jacki Hopper

02/02/2022 at 04:12

Lol Roger, It was David Cassidy , as I watched ” The Partridge Family show on TV, whom I preferred but I was only a child in the 70s under the age 10, I would of been a tad young to been on a crush or even know what it meant to be on one to be fair, until I was I was 12 to grasp the ” crush” concept …lol

• Michael Thompson

29/01/2022 at 17:10

Showing my age here but Diana Rigg as Mrs. Peale from the old Avengers tv show (60s) Musically it was Petulla Clark (Downtown)

• Jim Frei

14/02/2022 at 22:25

Michael James Thompson: Diana Rigg was smoking hot, but unfortunately, I wasn’t born until 1969, and didn’t discover the Avengers tv series until I was nearly 30. I first saw her in Her Majesty’s Secret Service, and was totally enamored with her, so much more than most of the other Bond girls.

If we are talking about actresses, my first crush was Lynda Carter aka Wonder Woman.

• Lynn T. Newcomb

30/01/2022 at 05:02

I just wanted Jim Frei to to know that at least one of us didn’t miss the “Heart” throb reference in his picks.

As for me, I had a crush on Susan Dey (The Partridge Family). I knew she was just playing a part, but I always wondered if she could really play the keyboard and sing.

• Thomas Shoemaker

30/01/2022 at 21:43

Mine was two English ladies. Dusty Springfield. Both blonde both beautiful both great singers!!

• Thomas Shoemaker

30/01/2022 at 21:43

Petula Clark

• Diana Geertsen

13/02/2022 at 04:43

David Cassidy, Bobby Sherman, Donny Osmond and Davy Jones

https://youtu.be/29qrRiF9t-M

Page 1 of 2