• Beatles "oddities"

Posted by Paul on 22/04/2024 at 10:12

I’m not sure what to call this thread, but I thought that it might be interesting for members to post anything connected with the Beatles that may not be common knowledge.

Whilst this is not particularly amazing, I just remembered that my daughters, without conferring, somehow managed, coincidentally, to give me very similar birthday cards last year:

Howard R. replied 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Dan

28/04/2024 at 01:57

With the recent announcement that the Let it Be film will be re-released, here’s an interesting bit about the three guitar solos on the title song.

The basic take of “Let it Be” was Take 27-A, recorded on 31 January 1969. This was not the version used in the film, which was Take 27-B, recorded immediately after.

On 30 April 1969, George recorded a new guitar solo, wiping the original, though it can still be faintly heard in the background due to mic bleed. This version, Take 27-A with the new guitar solo, would be released as the “Let it Be” single on 6 March 1970.

4 January 1970 would be the last time Paul, George, and Ringo recorded together until the Anthology project twenty-four years later. On this day, Paul recorded a new bass track, removing John’s original bass playing, extra vocal harmonies, percussion, and orchestral overdubs were recorded, and George played an entirely new guitar solo. This version of the song would go on the Let it Be album, released on 8 May 1970.

So, that’s the history of the three guitar solos on “Let it Be,” all of which share the same Take 27-A DNA.

I personally think the album version is superior to the single, but the single is the version more people are familiar with.

• Howard R.

05/05/2024 at 13:27

Thanks for posting this…… i love hearing about the stuff that goes on in the background. Musicians in general definitely had/have interesting stories leading up to the music we eventually hear.