MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum General Discussion Great Covers by Obscure Artists

• David Herrick

14/07/2023 at 02:15

I just found this group on YouTube. They’ve posted about a dozen Beatles covers, all of very high quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLVAuMcCH-M

• Steve Kirk

14/07/2023 at 14:54

This is very good!! I’m checking these guys out… German? Thanks for this

• Tom Fones

14/07/2023 at 14:56

Very nice!

• David Herrick

14/07/2023 at 17:10

Yes, Steve, according to the “about” section of their YouTube channel, they’re from Bavaria.

• Steve Kirk

14/07/2023 at 17:25

Thank you David. A good find from you. Really enjoying going through their stuff. They pretty much nail every one

• Bud Jackson

16/03/2024 at 19:17

David,

That’s a very good sounding group! Sometimes in Music classes I’ll sing & play that on guitar, & then often play the MLT version for the students!

I’ve been enjoying watching some of the videos here, but I’ve been busy teaching, & also rehearsing with the Jazz Big Band I’m in, so I haven’t commented much. I haven’t posted this before, but here’s a 1:32 min. video of the Band I play in. This is a pretty obscure group, even in the Seattle area. Any money we make, we donate to school Music Programs, Churches, Senior Centers, etc. But it’s lots of fun!

We did a big fundraiser last night at West Seattle High School, & we’re playing tonight at a Christian school. It’s great to see adults AND kids up dancing! (I’m the trumpet player with long dark hair, usually 2nd from the right in the back.) This is a compilation video from 5 different locations. The last place shows the West Seattle H. S. sign up above. — Bud

West Seattle Big Band (youtube.com)

• Jürgen

14/07/2023 at 07:28

Hi Tom, hi folks,

I have something very special here. The ballad „Seemann“ (Sailor) originally was performed by the band „Rammstein“. This song was then covered by the group „Apocalyptica“, a finnish cello formation, specializing in hard rock and heavy metal. They are supported by the singer Nina Hagen, the German godmother of punk. The result is the following cover version. Why obscure? Well, the song „Seeman“ might be less known, as well as the band „Apocalyptica“ (maybe I’m wrong). Actually no music here for the forum, but I’m sure you can handle it. 😃

https://youtu.be/v-YzdvmD2aQ

• Tom Fones

14/07/2023 at 15:02

Definitely Rammstein like.

Nina has been around quite a while.

BTW Juergen –

Recently at the health club i saw a young man wearing a tee-shirt which said Rammstein

on the front and … “Sechs herzen die bruennen” on the back – if i have that right.

• Tom Fones

14/07/2023 at 15:03
  • Jürgen

14/07/2023 at 19:32

Yeah Tom, „Sechs Herzen die brennen“ (six hearts that are burning) inspired by Rammstein’s 2001 song “Mein Herz brennt” (my heart is burning). Rammstein is still quite active, unlike Nina Hagen, around whom things have become very quiet. As you rightly said, she’s been around for a long time. By the way, Nina’s full name is Catharina. She had her first commercial success in 1974 with the song „Du hast den Farbfilm vergessen“ (You forgot the color film). A nice parody of German holiday culture. At that time she was still living in the former GDR.

Most recently, Nina Hagen was involved in an interesting project together with her daughter Cosma Shiva Hagen (and that brings me back to the topic). It was called “Rilke Project”, named after the Austrian poet Rainer Maria Rilke (born in Prague in 1875 and died in Montreux/Switzerland in 1926). In German-speaking countries, Rilke enjoys great popularity because of his poetry and is considered one of the most important poets of modern literature. I don’t know if he’s well known in English-speaking countries (but it doesn’t matter). The “Rilke Project” consists of a group of German artists and actors who have tried to interpret Rilke’s literary works in a musical way. So they tried to create a musical cover version of his lyrics (phew, and that brings us back to “great covers”).

This transformation sounds like this, for example: „Liebes Lied” (Lovesong ). The poem „Liebes Lied” by Rainer Maria Rilke deals with the question of which higher power controls our feelings, especially the feeling of love for another person. I have attached the original text and tried to translate it into English, which may not always make sense, since Rilke uses a very old-fashioned German (also I don’t know what gender the word „soul“ has in English. In German it is feminine. So I used „she“ in the translation)

PS: sorry that the post is so long. But I find the idea of putting classical poetry into music very interesting and beautiful.

Rainer Maria Rilke: „Liebes-Lied“

Wie soll ich meine Seele halten

das sie nicht an deine rührt?

Wie soll ich sie hinheben

über dich zu anderen Dingen?

Über dich zu anderen Dingen

Doch alles was uns anrührt

Dich und mich

Nimmt uns zusammen

wie ein Bogenstrich

Der aus zwei Saiten eine Stimme zieht

O süßes Lied, O süßes Lied

Meine Seele

Ach gerne möchte ich sie bei irgendwas

Verlorenem im Dunkel unterbringen

an einer fremden stillen Stelle

die nicht weiter schwingt

wenn deine Tiefen schwingen

wenn deine Tiefen schwingen

Doch alles, was uns anrührt

dich und mich

nimmt uns zusammen wie ein Bogenstrich

der aus zwei Saiten eine Stimme zieht.

O süßes Lied

Auf welches Instrument sind wir gespannt?

Und welcher Geiger hat uns in der Hand?

Lovesong

How am I supposed to hold my soul

that she doesn’t touch yours?

How am I supposed to raise her

about you to other things?

about you to other things?

But everything that touches us

You and me

brings us together

like a bow stroke

that forms a voice from two strings

O sweet song, O sweet song

my soul

O I would like to place it

with something lost in the dark

in a strange quiet place

which does not swing any further

when your depths swing

when your depths swing

But everything that touches us

you and me

brings us together like a bow stroke

that forms a voice from two strings.

O sweet song

On which instrument we are stretched?

And which violinist holds us in hand?

https://youtu.be/Z8xVa-YXvx0

• Tom Fones

14/07/2023 at 22:51

I have definitely heard of Rainer Maria Rilke but i did not know anything about him.

it’s “la alma” in Spanish – feminine – but it’s “the soul” in English. We have no gender for

anything except people and animals.

• Tom Fones

14/07/2023 at 22:55

“It” is the neuter subject and object article.

• David Herrick

31/01/2024 at 06:05

Gotta say I’m pretty impressed with this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyFPxkpZOkA

• Tom Fones

31/01/2024 at 20:25

Nice find David H.

• Paul

15/03/2024 at 11:36

Exquisite! Thanks for posting, David.

• David Herrick

02/03/2024 at 04:05

Don’t let the white hair fool you; these guys are pretty good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQOw6Hj1Qss

• Tom Fones

02/03/2024 at 15:43

Another nice find David H.

The bass player is playing a five string bass but he doesn’t get near the bottom.

Who knows.

• Paul

15/03/2024 at 11:35

Thanks, David. Yes, they’re very good.

• Claire

04/03/2024 at 03:32

One of my personal anthem kind of songs is Make Your Own Kind of Music. I am always scrolling through YouTube trying to find interesting versions of songs. I like this one by Paloma Faith…an English artist I’d never heard of before, but she bangs it out of the park!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ksjdlA4i9A

• Paul

15/03/2024 at 11:34

Thanks for posting this, Claire. I have this song on my MP3 player (yes, I’m stuck in the Ice Age!) and I wasn’t aware that Paloma has basically only achieved success in Europe (and New Zealand).

I would recommend her albums Do You Want the Truth or Something Beautiful? and Fall to Grace and the single Can’t Rely on You.

• David Herrick

08/03/2024 at 17:50

I think this is pretty well done, but I’ll wait for Jacki to weigh in on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ealu62wFVk

• Tom Fones

08/03/2024 at 18:05

Very Nice.

California Dreaming has a whole new meaning from Deutcshland.

• David

14/03/2024 at 04:23

Hi folks, I’m glad this topic has come back around because I recently found another musical family on Youtube that’s done a couple of Beatles covers. They’re French and have a bit of a jazzy vibe. There’s not a whole lot on the channel, but they’ve got a nice sound with three voices and one acoustic guitar. Anyway, here’s their cover of Martha My Dear:

https://youtu.be/Gh-tOw4AJi8?si=VwNY5vv90EkjOA-4

• Paul

15/03/2024 at 12:44

I thought that I would post this cover of Can’t Help Falling in Love by the British Celtic/rock/folk/indie band Lick the Tins who had their only UK hit with it (reaching no. 42). It’s totally different from any other version of this song and I love the whole song, but particularly the last minute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kORTAjFAWM

I’d also like to post a rendition of Nothing Compares to You by Pink! backed by the BBC Concert Orchestra which many of you may not have seen before, so it can be considered obscure in that sense!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLHGc1lO7_A

• Jürgen

15/03/2024 at 17:35

A nice cover version of Gary Moore’s 1985 hit:

https://youtu.be/Ec729nmajwc?si=SzK6Bir7LlDVUH3W

• Jürgen

15/03/2024 at 17:36

If that was too soft for you, how about this?

https://youtu.be/CwED4C5FJuo?si=3vejLQfYK2whcTdw

• Paul

15/03/2024 at 17:51

Never come across this band before, Jürgen. They’re obviously very popular in their own country and elsewhere in Europe, but they don’t appear to be well-known in the UK. I like it, though, so thanks for posting!

• Jürgen

15/03/2024 at 18:12

Yes Paul, the Finnish band Nightwish has been a fixture in the symphonic metal scene for many years. If you like this kind of music you might also like the Dutch band “Within Temptation”. I don’t know how well known they are in the UK. Or the German band “Beyond the Black”

• Paul

15/03/2024 at 19:00

Thanks for your response, Jürgen. I would definitely say that I am not normally a fan of heavy metal music, but since I liked the track that you posted, maybe I could get into symphonic metal(?), so perhaps I’ll go and listen to some other music by the 3 bands that you mention. FYI, according to wikipedia, Within Temptation have had some decent album success in the UK, with one album reaching the top 10 and another the top 20, but Beyond the Black do not seem to be known at all in the UK.

• Jürgen

15/03/2024 at 19:47

Paul, I’m actually not a metal fan either. I like listening to hard rock, but when it comes to metal music, my listening pleasure ends somewhere. Symphonic Metal or Gothic Metal is somehow different. Some of the Bands like having large orchestral arrangements and the singers often have very beautiful voices. So not the usual metal screaming. The ex-Nightwish singer Tarja Turunen has a classical vocal training just like Floor Jansen, who studied singing and then dedicated herself to studying musicals and opera. The bands wrote very nice ballads. E.g. „Sleeping Sun“ (Nightwish). „Raise your Head -String Version-„ / „Free Me“ (Beyond Black) „Ice Queen“ and „Mother Earth“ (Within Temptation). But all information is without guarantee. 😀

• Paul

15/03/2024 at 20:38

Thanks for your info., Jürgen. I too am a rock fan, but I also like many types of music, however heavy metal is not one of them. I wasn’t really aware of symphonic metal until today (!) and, since I tend to often like (non-classical) music that contains string instruments other than guitars (e.g. ELO in particular and, to a lesser extent, the likes of the (Dixie) Chicks and the Corrs), it is quite possible that I might become a symphonic metal fan. I will certainly try out your suggestions. 👍

Page 2 of 2