MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum General Discussion The most influential music artist of all time?

• Daryl Jones

15/04/2024 at 14:47

Isn’t it strange (but wonderful) how our views and tastes change as we grow older? My classical emergence came in the mid and late 80’s as far as actually listening and appreciating it. Jung, while I don’t have your extensive collection of recordings, I have my share and I do keep going back to them often.
    I can’t help but agree with the emptiness of music value that a certain proliferation created (same names and styles you listed) and it really left me cold and empty. Thankfully at the same or near time, I began discovering some up and coming guitar heroes (Johnny Lang, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Joe Bonamassa) and my fledgling attempts at learning to play got me into Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, and a big return to many metal and heavier rock bands of the 70’s and 80’s. Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, AC/DC, Van Halen…all stuff that I already had a pile of in my collection. Now, I find myself gravitating to Johnny Cash, Randy Travis, Chris Stapleton, and I have a rekindled love for Sheryl Crowe’s music. She is simply an amazing talent that does everything from the ground up on her recordings.
    And then there is the softer, more preppy(?) music of groups like ABBA, The Bangles, and even cleaner cut style of the Carpenters that has a returned allure and appreciation for me. And speaking of the Carpenters, there is a beautiful and talented young lady that has been making a name for herself covering Carpenters songs for a while now. I just found her by accident a few months ago and I was amazed that the uncanny likeness and superb vocal quality she possesses. She doesn’t drum (she says) much, but she does play guitar, and she does write her own music that she is working on getting out there to the public. If you give this a listen, please humor me and close your eyes, and see what plays through your memories of a young woman that we lost to a horrible affliction so long ago. Every song I hear Tori sing brings tears of joy and sorrow both to my eyes. She has that angelic quality in her voice that is so Karen-like it is nothing short of amazing. And she is modest and pretty humble about her talents, so that earns her huge respect in my world.
    I guess that would be a more modern influence on a new age musician/singer: Tori Holub:
    We’ve Only Just Begun – cover – featuring Tori Holub (youtube.com)

• Jung Roe

15/04/2024 at 15:39

Hi Daryl

Wow that was just beautiful Daryl, and as soon as I heard Tori sing, it evoked Karen Carpenter to near perfection, in fact if I heard this cover without know who it is, I might think it is Karen Carpenter singing. What a beautiful performance, and morning uplift. Thanks for sharing it, Tori is amazing.

The Carpenters songs are all so timeless and beautiful, sounds as good today as the first time I heard it in the 70s. My older sister bought a few Carpenter albums and we listened to them a lot as a family back then. My parents were into Tom Jones in a big way in the early 70s and had a few of his albums along with Carpenters.

Sheryl Crowe is another artist I didn’t mention but I liked in the 90s, and when she did Soak Up The Sun, in 2005 well that instantly captivated and awoke my love of the Beach Boys, so she would be the only exception in the early 2000s I bought a rock/pop album for the first time in many years back then. Speaking of influences, how about this one with a California sound Beach Boys-ish flair, but all Sheryl Crowe.

https://youtu.be/KIYiGA_rIls?si=yy73uG5sttR-1RG2

• Paul

15/04/2024 at 15:43

Thanks for posting that YouTube clip, Daryl. I am practically speechless. Tori has a delightful voice that is uncannily simialr to Karen C’s, as you say. In fact, when she started singing, I thought that she must be miming to the original! Great rendition by all involved on that recording and I will certainly be searching for more of her YouTube videos.

• Bud Jackson

15/04/2024 at 15:43

Daryl,

Tori does sound amazingly like Karen Carpenter! And everyone did a great job on that recording!
      That’s all the time I have right now, gotta run!

Thanks! — Bud

• Paul

15/04/2024 at 15:45

Snap, Bud!

• David Herrick

15/04/2024 at 16:00

I agree; the resemblance is astounding! Here’s a video that alternates back and forth between the two versions, and sometimes combines them. Without looking, I absolutely can’t tell the difference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrpiD6iPE0g

• Daryl Jones

15/04/2024 at 16:22

Wow David, I’ve never seen that. And right now it’s a tad blurry. Thank you for posting it!
      Comparatively speaking, I think Karen’s voice has a tiny bit more brightness in some spots, and Tori’s is a wee bit fuller/deeper. But that just might be my own particular ear. The two channels playing together are pretty much indiscernible to me.

• David Herrick

15/04/2024 at 16:50

I’m with you in principle, Daryl. While I was watching it, I thought Tori was missing that little inflection that causes Karen’s voice to “smile”. But without my eyes to prejudice me, I couldn’t detect the difference.

• David Herrick

16/04/2024 at 03:10

Apparently Tori Holub did her first ever live public performance just three days ago, and here it is: another Carpenters classic. (The song starts at 2:22.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc3B1cySrnM

• Paul

16/04/2024 at 10:07

Nice. Good luck to her in her future career. She seems a very humble person.

• Daryl Jones

16/04/2024 at 15:25

I just watched that yesterday, still really good but the one with the full accompaniment was just so close to the Carpenters’ version it’s sort of spoiled me. I really enjoyed the interview she gave a while back too. So down to earth and not full of herself at all. I’ve heard a clip of one of her own compositions and its very good too.

• David Herrick

20/04/2024 at 20:40

I just took a dive down the Tori rabbit-Holub (sorry) and discovered that she can channel a lot of well-known singers!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcL2Ais-LbMAfApdP-lIPjaj0W4aq8EEY

• Tom Fones

05/05/2024 at 18:51

A credit to Beato for stepping outside of pop music.

Jung are you ranking Bach over Beathoven in terms of historical influence?

Cheers

• Jung Roe

06/05/2024 at 05:11

Hi Tom

Beethoven elevated music to the same level as painting and literature, and Beethoven is held in the same regard as Leonardo DaVinci and William Shakespeare. Prior to Beethoven, music was viewed as entertainment for the noble and privileged, and as an art form inferior to the other arts. Beethoven changed all that. He introduced the metronome, and gave music exact time. Before then, it was more an estimate, like slow, fast etc… So I think Beethoven was the best of them all and influenced music more than anyone else. Bach and Mozart brought out the beauty of the universe, the pattern, symmetry, and order. Beethoven brought out incredible level of emotion, and passion in the music like never before. His music takes you on an emotional ride, with great highs and lows that music before him could not evoke to the same degree. Beethoven is not something you want to listen to while studying or doing intricate work, because of the wide range of emotions in the music.

Lately I’ve come to appreciate Bach and the amazing beauty of the universe his music evokes from his many keyboard works, organ, and solo violin. It seems all roads lead back to Bach, as he wrote the music playbook that Hayden, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Chopin, Liszt…all learned from, the Well Tempered Clavier Books 1 and 2, a blue print of harmony and counterpoint. “It is the first compilation, or volume of music that makes use of ALL 24 MUSICAL KEYS : 12 Major, 12 Minor”.

For example his concerto’s are full of drama and conflict between the orchestra and solo instrument, and takes you through an emotional ride. In this 2nd movement of Beethoven’s Piano Concerto No 4, the orchestra and solo piano battle it out as they are at odds with each other. The orchestra is agitated and full of anger and despair, and the solo piano is peaceful and consoling. By the end, the orchestra and piano have come to an understanding and harmony, and a feel of joy prevails. This is what often happens in life, the human experience, and perhaps reflects Beethoven’s conflict with his hearing loss or failed relationships.

https://youtu.be/jP6SlPeakkg?si=C-45GgJev9KPVEaO

Page 2 of 2