MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum General Discussion Greatest melody genius of all time

• Daryl Jones

18/01/2023 at 18:12

Isn’t it amazing how so many different music genres manage to seek and find such common ground?
    So often in my (long ago) past we had arguments (myself as a stage and concert band player versus my father and his sisters, all classical piano buffs) about how any form of music beyond big band and classical had zero relevance and lacked any form of skill level regardless of the instruments being played. Naturally me being the ripe old age of 16 I countered with Burt Bacharach, Bob Dylan, Elton John, and yes Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull before they refused to listen to my side any longer. WTH did anyone my age and experience know anyway? I even went so far as to sit them down and make them listen to side one of the Jesus Christ Superstar original stage album, and not even Tim Rice and his haunting lyrics coupled with Andrew LLoyd Weber’s brilliant arranging nor Ian Gillan’s astounding vocal range could sway them away from it’s “sacrilegious” properties. Finally I won one of my Aunts over with Elton John’s Funeral For a Friend, albeit grudgingly.

When my parents attended our stage band’s performance at a music festival on a rather prestigious hall in Edmonton and took second prize, even my father had to give in a bit. Our set of three included nothing but (then) popular compositions of Jimmy Webb, Burt Bacharach and Chicago. Didn’t gain me any time on the living room record player with my Deep Purple and Black Sabbath albums afterward though. At least not when they were home haha.
    But it goes to show that all music is related in one way or another. Only our predispositions and prejudices limit the success and popularity of what someone else enjoys.
    Staying groovy also means accepting and being able to “hear” Jimmy over and above the revamped chords he made popular with his incredible talents with a guitar.

• Jung Roe

19/01/2023 at 06:15

Daryl, I had a similar experience with my parents. When I was little I couldn’t stand my dad’s classical music. Car rides usually meant being subjected to my dad’s library of classical music as me and my sister rode in the back seat. My music taste went from pop music of the 70s and the Beach Boys and Beatles in my teens to heavy rock and metal of the likes of AC/DC by my early 20s. Loved those hypnotic guitar sounds, soothed my soul in those days that I really needed. Then by 30 I got into classical music of Mozart, Beethoven, Baroque, Bach etc.. and I started taking piano lessons. I have to say in those classical piano and violin runs, I felt exactly how I felt listening to Angus and Malcom Young’s guitar works. Rock song writers and classical composers I have to believe had their minds in the same state to create that kind of music. As you said, and as Paul McCartney stated so succinctly in that short video interview I posted, there is a common ground between pop/rock and classical. “They are doing the same thing”.

• Jung Roe

20/01/2023 at 05:08

Music with a wonderful melodic line is so captivating, tickles your soul. Here is one of those with a fast guitar. This one is written by John Lennon, the other greatest pop/rock song writer of all time.

https://youtu.be/9g2eU9YGwWQ

• Jung Roe

20/01/2023 at 05:09

And here is a beautiful classical piano melody line that captivates equally for contrast and appreciation of music.

https://youtu.be/y8y5oF9a8l4

• Jung Roe

20/01/2023 at 05:13

I just heard the sad news David Crosby died today, at age 81. A sad day for the music world as we lose another legendary rock artist. In his honour, one of my favourite CSNY songs. About such precious things in our life, and warm loving environment called home, our house.

https://youtu.be/NZtJWJe_K_w

• Jeannette Wannamaker

22/01/2023 at 22:18

I’m late to this discussion but what a super topic, Jung! Great melodies can be found in all kinds of music. I would find it difficult to choose between Mozart and McCartney. Mozart might have a slight edge because his melodies can pack a heftier emotional punch due to their more complex construction, i.e. change of keys within a melody, more sophisticated harmonic underpinning, melodic ornamentation, and beautiful phrase structure. Having said that, there is no denying that Paul McCartney’s melodies are also beautiful and memorable. Our brains love structure – logical musical phrases, the musical build-up of tension and then release, the repetition of musical motifs. All these things plant a melody in our memories, but what makes it affect us emotionally is more elusive. I imagine that it is the inspired combination of the melody with its harmonic underpinning that gives the emotional impact. The ancients and the renaissance philosophers accorded different emotional affects to different keys or modes. I think they were onto something! Mozart and McCartney were too.

Here is a very beautiful melody by Mozart that begins simply and sweetly, and grows in intensity, expressing the longing of a page boy for his mistress. The song begins at :57.

(5) è desso–Voi che sapete (Kate Lindsey) – YouTube

• Jung Roe

23/01/2023 at 02:03

Thanks Jeanette, and it’s never too late to join in on the discussions. Really enjoyed what you wrote here about music and the emotions. It is amazing how the tension build up and release, dissonance, consonance, modes, key changes all add up to creating emotions that make music so beautiful and joyful. Even a sad movement in music has amazing beauty that can heal, like Beethoven’s Symphony No 7 2nd movement. Mozart and Paul certainly used key changes and modes to create some amazing moving emotions in their music. Enjoyed hearing that Mozart opera video, can really feel the longing in the music as it built up. I found an interesting article that discusses Mozart and Paul a playlist of their music to show similar they are artistically.

Mistress of the Mix: Mozart vs. McCartney

• Jung Roe

23/01/2023 at 02:06

In this rare Beatles clip, it shows the creative musical state of mind Paul McCartney was in by the late 60s. It looks like the studio engineers, John, George and Ringo all sit and watch Paul tap into his amazing inspiration.

https://youtu.be/IvNX4mn8Jxg

• David Herrick

23/01/2023 at 02:20

It’s Paul’s world. We just live in it.

• Jeannette Wannamaker

23/01/2023 at 02:16

Very interesting article! I’ll work my way through the playlist! I forgot to mention that, ultimately, any melody that moves you, or brings forth an emotion is great. That is a very personal preference. But all great melodies are built of the same building blocks, no matter what style of music. It is the genius behind the composition that both Mozart and Paul McCartney possess.

You may be interested in the following article, Jung, which talks about the emotional connection to music from earliest times.

Music and the brain: the neuroscience of music and musical appreciation – PMC (nih.gov)

• Jung Roe

24/01/2023 at 04:31

Hi Jeannette

That is a very interesting read. The part where it talks about meaning in music came before words is intriguing. “In other words, meaning in music came to us before meaning given by words.” I can certainly related to that, as in Beethoven’s symphonies so much is expressed through emotions without a word being spoken. I also like it’s description of music as a language of feeling. I find instrumental music be it a rock guitar piece or classical piano work, the order and symmetry and rhythm is so appealing and soothing. Our mind does gravitate towards a sense of order and harmony.

The therapeutic and healing aspect of music was something close to my heart. When my mom was in the care facility with dementia, I read about the potential healing aspect of music and had the staff there leave music on for my mom all the time when we weren’t there. I left a CD player with some CDs by my mom’s bedside. One CD I had her listen to a lot is this one. If Mozart got his inspiration from a profound place, I thought perhaps there might be some healing benefits to it. It’s beautiful anyways.

https://youtu.be/UOraW7zJbE4

• Jeannette Wannamaker

25/01/2023 at 03:00

Ahhhhhh, just what I needed, Jung, after a very challenging and exhausting work day. My aching body and bruised spirit feel soothed and enlivened. Listening, I could almost feel the caress of a gentle spring breeze! I’m sure that it must have had a soothing effect on your mother too.

Music therapy is an area of great interest to me as well. I shadowed many music therapists on the job when I was a music teacher of students with developmentally disabilities. The program I developed for my students was therapeutic in nature and adhered closely to the practices I had observed and discussed with the therapists. Over the years, I saw first hand the power of music to heighten awareness, bring back memories, reduce anxiety, promote communication skills, improve social skill… the list could go on. I found that my autistic students processed instructions when I sang the words – instructions that didn’t register with them when spoken. A brain neurologist, whom I heard give a lecture, said that music bypasses the cognitive circuitry of the brain which is why even those with limited cognitive ability reap the same emotional experience of music. I had a student who was virtually comatose – showed no sign of awareness – but with the help of the nurse who attended him, we could see that the measurements of both his heart rate and oxygen levels changed in response to music. There was another very medically fragile student who had no movement, no language but loved music. We used to lift him in a sling to the top of the piano so that his body rested on the top. The wide eyes and the broad smile that dawned on his face to the musical vibrations he felt were priceless. So powerful! I can well believe that we were musical creatures before we had language.

• Jung Roe

26/01/2023 at 01:07

Hi Jeanette

That is so special what you do with music to help people with disabilities and health challenges. Music is magic for the soul indeed. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences and all the beautiful examples of the healing power of music.

I came across this video that was pushed out to me on youtube. I think Mozart and Paul have nothing on this little girl and the sweet song she sings to her dog and cat. So moving.

https://youtu.be/9nez_Yw0UrY

• Jeannette Wannamaker

27/01/2023 at 12:23

Oh, Jung, that is one of the sweetest songs I’ve ever heard – straight from the heart of a child. Thanks for sharing it with me. Melody-writing is a gift, there is no doubt.

• Christopher

27/01/2023 at 14:22

I’m not crying, you’re crying…

Thank you Jung and Jeannette for (posting and reacting) the video of the young lady singing to her two pets. Lady Jane Beagle has to go for surgery on Monday. There is a suspicious lump growing on her left shoulder. She is fifteen, so I am worried. Best dog ever.

Last day of exam week at school and a there’s curriculum meeting in a few minutes. I know that I am going to be thinking about that young lady playing and singing to her dog. But that’s okay.

• Jeannette Wannamaker

29/01/2023 at 18:53

I wish you and Lady Jane Beagle all the best for her appointment tomorrow. I’ve never understood why dogs have lives that are so much shorter than human lives. It doesn’t seem fair when they are such wonderful companions. Honestly, that is the reason I’ve never brought a dog into my family – I don’t think I could bear the anguish of losing one after a short time.

That song was very special indeed, and if it gets you happily through a staff meeting (I’ve endured plenty of those!), good!

• Christopher

29/01/2023 at 19:02

Jeannette, thank you so much. The meeting went okay and we are all hoping for the best regarding Lady’s surgery tomorrow.

• Jeannette Wannamaker

29/01/2023 at 19:08

What a beauty! Those eyes…

• Christopher

29/01/2023 at 19:14

That’s why I have never scolded her, lol!

• David Gagnon

30/01/2023 at 01:03

Christopher,

I hope Lady’s appointment goes well. A very sweet friend to have.

• Christopher

30/01/2023 at 04:51

David, thank you very much. We are hoping for the best. She is such a great dog.

• Jung Roe

29/01/2023 at 20:35

Hi Christopher,

Lady Jane Beagle is looking so adorable there. All the very best to her with her surgery! I am sure she is feeling so much love from you right now, nothing could go wrong.

• Christopher

29/01/2023 at 23:26

Much thanks, Jung. Lady is in good shape considering her elder dog status and we are hoping for the best. The well wishes that I have received here mean so much.

• Jung Roe

29/01/2023 at 20:32

Hi Jeannette, glad you liked it. It is so raw, filled with amazing sweetness, gets right to the heart indeed. I can see that spot on top of the piano is a place her little dog loved to sit at to feel the love and sweet vibrations.

• Daryl Jones

17/02/2023 at 22:26

Now that got my waterworks running! Such an amazing piece from one so young, and it just pulls at the heart strings. Thanks Jung, tears can be therapeutic at times.

• Jung Roe

18/02/2023 at 09:44

Hi Daryl,

Yes indeed it is so moving, you can feel that pure beauty of a child’s love in her singing. Touches the heart deeply.

• Jacki Hopper

26/01/2023 at 03:13

Though as you know , I’m not into or a fan of classical music….. just not my cup of music tea , but will say how , in sorts to concur what magic music therapy has/does is something rare and wonderful .

My late Mom suffered a major brain hemorrhage damaging stroke back around 1986-87ish post surgery and basically became a vegetable of sorts to a degree inn that she could not do anything, right side/speech and not sure what all else was affected that we couldn’t tell besides the obvious in speech/paralyzation, etc yet her ability to hear a song off the radio/tv/nurse singing/humming or when someone came to the LTC hospital to sing/play piiano/guitar where Mom resided last 10 yrs of life before she passed in 1995, Mom’s ability to be able to hum, or sing in gibberish but be in perfect tune alongside what she heard, remained in tact, though not able to sing actual words but recognized tunes and went along accordingly… That always amazed /struck a chord with me… How that happened, why it remained in tact, Thankfully it did. Pre-Stroke/Surgery, at home she always sung around house, and I often told her she should sing professionally ….. yes, I truly believe in the magical impact of music therapy , no matter the genre … 🤘🏻🎼🎵🎶

• Jeannette Wannamaker

27/01/2023 at 12:26

I’m glad that your mom experienced such positive responses to music despite the ravages of a stroke. It is wonderful that many hospitals have music therapists on staff. There need to be more, for sure.

• Jacki Hopper

27/01/2023 at 22:18

Thankyou Jeanette 😊🤘🏻

• Dave Johnston

29/01/2023 at 19:57

I remember watching the Tony Bennett tribute with Lady Gaga. He was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in 2016. She wasnt even sure he’d recognize her when she stepped on the stage but knew he would nail every word and melody!! And he did …though he might not have even known where he was. Music is amazing!!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  Dave Johnston.
    • Jung Roe

29/01/2023 at 20:45

Hi Dave

I remember seeing a video of Tony Bennett’s performance. It was so touching.

• Jung Roe

29/01/2023 at 20:45

Hi Jacki

Music is such a special thing, that can comfort and heal. I am glad music was there for your mom to comfort her.

• Johnnypee Parker

27/01/2023 at 14:57

I have enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks for sharing your experiences. The power music has on our emotions amazes me.

I can not see or hear the name Emily without thinking of one of Pink Floyd’s first hits.

TGIF!

https://youtu.be/Gtu5RtlqAjo

• David Herrick

27/01/2023 at 15:35

JP, I have a similar affliction, but for me it resolves in a Zombies song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs-bVMs1LKU

• Jung Roe

29/01/2023 at 20:30

JP, David

Wow a couple of sweet gems, really enjoyed these.

The early Pink Floyd songs are very 60ish gems, very different from what I am use to in their later 70s symphonic masterpieces. Quite an amazing progression.

• Jung Roe

15/02/2023 at 03:42

Sometimes the most beautiful music is just a simple melody by a single instrument. I heard this today that seemed to make time stand still. In this piece, the entire orchestra hushes, and just let’s a single piano voice carry it away accompanied by gently strumming violins. I think one of Bach’s most beautiful moments. Music to tame the beasts.

https://youtu.be/KuOXcO43yTA?t=209

Bach Concerto for Piano No 5 in F minor (2nd movt) BWV 1060

• Jung Roe

15/02/2023 at 03:45

In Rock and Roll, we have pieces like this that is so moving. Just a simple solo piano melody that goes on and on until a gentle voice joins in. The first time I heard it in my teens was from one of my older brothers awesome vinyl collection. It sounded so beautiful and peaceful.

https://youtu.be/f26Gf7ksNvE

• Bob Walsh

21/02/2023 at 16:07

I’d been aware of The Beatles’ original recording of “Here, There and Everywhere” since the mid-Sixties, but it was Emmylou Harris’s mid-’70s version that really woke me up to the beauty of the melody. It is very high-pitched (*) for a tenor singer, and perhaps for this reason it lends itself better to a female lead. I have to say that the MLT version tends to confirm this hypothesis.

(*) How high? Well, the top note is just beyond the compass of the alto saxophone … which makes the song an absolutely gorgeous choice as a soprano sax solo!

• Michael Sankovich

23/02/2023 at 06:18

Emmy also did a fine version of “For No One” on her Reprise debut “Pieces of the Sky”. She gave credibility to country music; many rock’n’roll fans had previously dismissed the genre out of hand. Her voice was angelic, and it didn’t hurt she had an “A” list of musicians backing her both live and in the studio.

• Dave Johnston

21/02/2023 at 16:41

I’ll have to checkout Emmylou’s version. I played in a few bands back in HS and after and never could sing lead on much pop music. Had a hard time hitting D above middle C some days. most Beatles songs were out of my range and never developed a decent falsetto. MLT’s version is as good as it gets.

• Jung Roe

26/02/2023 at 00:50

I came across a wonderful poem “I’ve Learned” by Maya Angelou.

Here is an excerpt from the poem that I think sums up the power of music as well.

And oh how MLT’s latest makes me feel! Such amazingly beautiful emotions it evokes. It belongs here, amongst the great works of melody geniuses.

https://youtu.be/G2dDBSr3L_E

• Chris Weber

13/03/2023 at 14:12

I always thought I might never have heard of a band of John, George, Ringo, and a bass player to be named later. There is no Beatles without Paul.

But if Paul was in the band and John was not, then maybe you just get Wings. Not my favorite band. Some good songs, but way out on the pop end of the continuum.

There’s nothing wrong with pop music, but Lennon was the counterweight that made the Beatles possible. Somebody had to bring some grit, some rock and roll. It’s not too surprising John only ever complimented one of Paul’s songs. Maybe what’s surprising is that they lasted 9 years.

Last weekend I was at my sister’s house and she had the sound track from the Mozart movie on, and I told her it was kind of like 18th century pop music. lol.

The second thought was something that was said about the Beatles not knowing any music theory. A lot of people seem to think that “music theory” are rules that define what you’re allowed to do in music.

I’ve always thought of it the other way round. Music theory is a way of describing what guys like the Beatles are doing.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  Chris Weber.
    • Tom Fones

13/03/2023 at 15:01

Well said Chris W.

Another great thread with a long life Jung

• Jung Roe

14/03/2023 at 03:11

Thanks Tom! 👍 Hope you’re keeping well. 🙂

• Jung Roe

14/03/2023 at 03:09

Hi Chris

I recall Mona and Lisa stated a similar sentiment about the Beatles a while back in an interview that they were the greatest together, and their solo paths never equaled what they accomplished together. John and Paul’s talents certainly complemented each other, as did George and Ringo. Together they created a spark far greater than the sum of their parts. The song writing partnership of “Lennon – McCartney” had a mass appeal unequaled in pop/rock or modern music history period.

I always envision John Lennon as a modern Beethoven, and Paul McCartney a modern Mozart. It would be interesting what kind of magic spark a “Beethoven – Mozart” composing partnership could have produced. Genius expression of emotional depth meets the genius expression of sublime melody.

Here is a song that really underscores the Lennon – McCartney talent team work. Such a timeless brilliant masterpiece.

https://youtu.be/YSGHER4BWME

• Chris Weber

14/03/2023 at 15:35

That’s the right song to show their
      synergy. Some Lennon-McCartney songs are mostly one or the other,
      but that song truly is the two together and greater than the sum of
      its parts and their parts. And to such enormous effect. It’s hard
      to say this about the best songwriting team in history, and I
      generally don’t like the idea that there has to be a #1, but maybe
      that’s theirs.

It reminds me musically, or
      emotionally?, of Space Oddity from Bowie or Simon and Garfunkel’s
      America. Maybe they all have something similar lyrically – can
      you, within one emotional memory, or feeling, juxtapose common things
      that everyone knows but that, together, describe the feeling, or put
      you in the moment, transported by the music. You know: I read the
      news today—oh boy; the papers want to know whose shirts you wear;
      it took me four days to hitchhike from Saginaw.

Songs about everyday things, and life,
      and a journey, a journey through life, and none of which is
      remarkable in itself, but the sum paints a picture.

But Bowie and Simon were solo writers.
      With Lennon-McCartney you get 2 guys who each write music and lyrics
      and sing and play, and they do it in different styles. So when it
      really comes together, it’s magic.

I think there’s a question in here
      somewhere for the next Q&A, how do Mona, Lisa and Rudi do this?
      I know they’ve been asked about their writing process before. Lennon
      and McCartney had a lot in common, and definite differences. Is it
      possible to be closer to someone than your identical twin sister?
      And then throw in George Martin or Papa Rudi to temper the mix.

Page 2 of 2