MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum General Discussion Top 10 songs people are listening to today

• Top 10 songs people are listening to today

Posted by Jung Roe on 12/04/2023 at 05:55

Here is an interesting and entertaining video by Rick Beato as he reviews the top 10 songs in the charts today. I have to give him credit for sitting through 15 minutes of torture and anguish listening to what is passing as music today.

All the songs have a common theme as described by Rick:

1. Stock groove, heard a million times

2. It doesn’t really do anything

3. All 3 chord songs with the same drum beat.

The one Rick liked best, was because it was an actual “song”, and not just a repeating pattern.

“I’m gonna listen to it, so you don’t have to” – hilarious

https://youtu.be/YD_DoKo5Dg8

Chris Weber replied 1 year, 2 months ago 11 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • Fred Van Der Wees

12/04/2023 at 12:53

I like how he starts with “Listening to them so you don’t have to”. I do not think I could listen to these “songs” more then 1 time.

• Daryl Jones

12/04/2023 at 16:33

OK, in all honesty I stopped the playback not far into the first song (if you can call it that?) so I can’t judge more than his quoted comment ” I listened to it so you wouldn’t have to”.
    I cannot abide by “techno” voicings and any kind of monotone drivel that somehow passes for top (pick a number for ratings charts) anything and I don’t do Spotify either so. And now I certainly won’t be tempted to try it. Just hearing that Neil Young spurned Spotify was enough to keep me away, and I hate what Neil has become since the days of Crazy Horse and Cinnamon Girl. I even gave away my Harvest and After the Goldrush albums. And I love just about “anything” vinyl so that should tell you where that’s at.
    I thank you Jung for bringing this to our attention, I know now not to punish myself with listening to more of this painful stuff that is somehow qualified as music. Yeah, I have my prejudices, I ain’t perfect either haha.

• Steve Kirk

12/04/2023 at 17:37

Oh blimey. How do people listen to this stuff? I’m glad I’m an old timer 🙂

• Dave Johnston

12/04/2023 at 18:13

Hi all. Thx Jung for the topic. I feel the same way as you all do but just remember each generation pretty much feels the same. My son and his wife don’t like 60’s-90’s music much at all. My daughter in law really dislikes the Beatles (can’t understand how this is possible but there isn’t anything to be gained by discussing it with her) She loves Taylor Swift. So to be fair the equivalent if I go generationally one would have to ask me how I like music from the 20’s , 30’s and the 40’s. And my initial response if not that much. I feel like the music of the 60’s and early seventies is fantastic…the best but then again that is when I was a teenager and in my early 20’s which I suspect is the time most people form their basic musical taste. My son really likes the music mostly played as background in video games (He practiced and played the piano from age 5 until he graduated!)

• Steve Kirk

12/04/2023 at 20:43

I don’t believe it to be a generation thing tbh. If it is good it will last for sure, FOR generations! My kids and I know so many people who love the 60’s and 70’s music. It had substance. Many bands still tour based on these years. We’re seeing the Manfred’s next month. The stuff on this video is candy floss and will disappear without trace. I believe music died certainly in the UK in the 1980’s. Maybe it was different elsewhere but it died here. Steve

• David Herrick

12/04/2023 at 21:05

I grew up during the height of the disco era and couldn’t stand it! The only music I really enjoyed were the bits and pieces of 50’s/60’s songs I heard on Happy Days and on TV commercials for albums of greatest hits from that era. Then in the mid-80’s I found an oldies radio station that played all those old songs, which still form the backbone of my musical preferences.

So yeah, it’s not a generational thing for me; it’s about the quality of the music. It’s sad that I have no personal memories associated with the release of those songs, though. One of the things I love about MLT is that for the first time in my life I can hear NEW music that I actually enjoy and can connect to my contemporary experiences!

• Dave Johnston

12/04/2023 at 21:52

Quality is somewhat subjective but I agree that the Disco era was tough to go through and I really don’t find modern pop very good. For quite a few people music is just for dance, to set a mood or backgound. Those of us blessed with the pure love of music and how it can uplift us usually have strong opinions it. I know I do. Historically I believe the 60’s and early 70’s will be looked at as profond periods of originality in all the arts!

• Jacki Hopper

13/04/2023 at 22:38

Most radio stns nowadays are owned/run by under a major media corporation , thus have certain demographics in mind, etc to how the music programming format is to be setup/determined and like minded folks running things… I rarely listen to radio anymore…only have it on to wakeup to and go off an hour and half later or if in car riding with someone ….

Today’s music landscape in my view/perspective is manufactured crap ….sorry, but it is to me… it lacks originality, Musicianship like those of music past of who’s music caliber was far better crafted, distinctive, not entirely based on looks/either lacking true music Giftedness/how many CD/Albums sold with whatever record company one is signed with, etc …. Independent acts thrive better I believe, and for those musicians out there in their 60s -90s still going…they have proven why they can thrive for endurance …

Team MLT are but a rare caliber of endurance that will thrive for generations musically because of the mindset/integrity/ creative Musicianship/ attention/focus on establishing how to express their craft with utmost care/preciseness that allows all ages to appreciate, without needling to be manufactured, image to sell, etc but rather Independent to have full control /capacity for to output and deliver quality that All can enjoy and are the Genuine Real Deal …

Again, this is my 2 cents worth perspective of thoughts … 🤘🏻🤘🏻

• Tim Arnold

14/04/2023 at 00:55

I agree with you Jacki. It seems even the classic rock and classic country stations only have certain songs they play or maybe are obligated to play. I’ve never looked into it but I would bet some big music corps are controlling the playlists. I think MLT has found a more fulfilling way of doing business. They may not make a million dollars overnight but I think they have made a solid foundation that will sustain them for as long as they want to make music. Plus they have the freedom to choose what music they play and what videos to shoot and they seem to be very happy doing things their way.

• Jacki Hopper

14/04/2023 at 01:54

Precisely …one is better off to do things their own way….it’s best to, and the fulfillment knowing you are content, etc.. far more worthy than cashing in/being stuck in record company rabbit holes and their BS… why be a product of mass profit manufacturing, etc when you can Be the one in charge, do things that make sense , be of value to you, etc….only you to control/answer to…. far better option ….🤘🏻💜☮️

• Chris Weber

14/04/2023 at 19:29

This year after the Grammys I looked at the winners, and had a similar reaction. Even the people I like didn’t win with their best stuff. People like Bonnie Raitt, Wayne Shorter, Esperanza Spalding. It looked like more of a career award than an award for that one song.

But this was the world top 10, and one had been on there 8 months. 4 songs in Spanish, Beso, La Bebe, and Ella Baila Sola were the 3 I remember.

So why does this happen? Are these popular because they’re in the top 10 or are they in the top 10 because they’re popular? Is this just record companies pushing this stuff? Idk.

I just checked Beso on YouTube – 32 million views and it says 3 weeks. Careful with these videos, some are NSFW.

Ella Baila Sola 17M views, 6 days. La Bebe, 50M, 3 weeks. La Bebe is a remix of the same song from 2021.

I’m not even sure what “Top 10” means these days. How it’s measured. YT numbers I have a better idea.

And the #1 hit, Miley Cyrus song Flowers. 377M views, 3 months.

• Jung Roe

15/04/2023 at 06:50

I think the new generation of music listeners that like this “stock groove” are brain washed by the unscrupulous music industry tycoons. The greedy music industry push this canned formulaic music because it doesn’t take any talent to produce, and there are plenty of pretend musicians who will do anything to become famous. When enough friends and peers say this is good music, they start believing it, and lull themselves to mediocrity. It’s like narcotics.

Real artists with amazing talent like Mona and Lisa on the other hand produce great music from the heart and soul, and do things their way and won’t sacrifice artistic integrity to the whims of the greedy music industry producer tycoon types. If Stairway to Heaven, Hey Jude, or Bohemian Rhapsody were produced today, it would be ignored by the music industry because it does not fit the “mold” of what good hip music is supposed to be. That’s why it is so important to support independent artists like MLT, so truly great inspired music will live on.

• Chris Weber

18/04/2023 at 21:29

You wrote – “3. All three chord songs…”

That brings back a memory of playing with a band in the early ’80s, and we covered Tulsa Time.

It has two (2) chords. Wonder how long it took the guy to write it?

A country standard, and was #1 on the country charts in ’78. After growing up with rock and roll, country was some culture shock for me.

Even the One Note Samba has more chords than that. lol

• Sara Pattern

18/04/2023 at 19:52

I find that good music new and old resonates through the years and some songs that you hear at the time you may not like at first but sometimes nostalgia hits in and that same song triggers a memory later in life and you remember it in a different way. so maybe the music of today will be the nostalgia of another age. this is why I love this group because the passion for different music inspires me to try music I perhaps would never try.

• Chris Weber

18/04/2023 at 22:05

I think you’re right.

I just wrote about a trip I took long ago. In the car for weeks, to California and back, and all that time, the #1 hit was Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty. They played it constantly and I was sick of it.

But now when I hear it, I get this feeling like I had on that trip. I had quit my job, put everything I owned in my car and headed out to find my fortune, I was free, it was summer, every day an adventure. Hearing that song now brings all those great feelings back.

• Johnnypee Parker

19/04/2023 at 19:56

Did you settle down in some quiet little town and forget everything?

Me? I gave up the booze and the one night stands

https://youtu.be/BFhsAdbggI4

• Chris Weber

20/04/2023 at 02:40

Well, like I said, to California, and back…

When I woke up it was a new morning.

The sun was shining – a new morning.

And I was going, I was going home.

Otherwise I might have gotten stuck in the middle with them. ⬆